Department of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering (DTU Chemical Engineering) invites applications for few positions as Post Doctoral Fellow to be hired for a European Research Council (ERC) funded project with focus on anaerobic microbiome for biotechnological applications aiming at valorization of biowastes.
Your background is on anaerobic microbiology, microbial ecology, microbial interactions, syntrophies, genome scale modelling, bioengineering, and fermentation.
The positions are:
- Postdoc, with a background in microbial ecology - Focusing on microbial interactions of anaerobic microcosms.
- Postdoc, with a background on microbial ecology – Focusing on genome mapping based on genomic information and genome scale modelling of the anaerobic microbiome.
- Postdoc, ideally with a background on microbiology and microfluidics - Focusing on microbial isolations and design of tailored mixed cultures.
The successful candidates will join an innovative, collaborative, international and multidisciplinary team. The group works on both fundamental understanding but also development and validation of new technologies based on the use of microorganisms as tools to valorise organic wastes and wastewaters into useful bioproducts, biofuels and bioenergy. One of our important values is cooperation, and we believe that we can reach world-class results together.
You will be involved to strengthen the Bioconversions group competences within microbiome studies using modern technologies such as metagenomics, metatranscriptomics, and anaerobic mixed cultures design and construction. You will work with nearby colleagues, and with both academic and industrial partners in Denmark as well as abroad.
The candidate is expected to:
- Design and perform experimental work.
- Be involved in the co-supervision of PhD, MSc and BSc students.
- Present research findings in scientific papers, conferences, public domain and other outreach activities
- Actively contribute to - fundraising activities in the department
The candidate should have the following qualifications:
- A PhD degree in areas such as Microbiology/Anaerobic microbiology/ Life sciences, Biochemistry, or other relevant to this position.
- Proven ability to work in the following areas: use bioinformatics tools, traditional and modern anaerobic microbiology, molecular biology.
- Competences within fermentation processes hereunder gas/liquid fermentations.
- Previous experience in execution of research projects.
- Experience with the supervision and guidance of MSc and BSc students.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Publish high impact articles.
- Able to work both independently and in a team.
- Collaborative international experience.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union. The period of employment is 2 years.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
Further information may be obtained from Dimitar Karakashev at email@example.com.
You can read more about DTU Chemical Engineering at www.kt.dtu.dk/english.
If you are applying from abroad, you may find useful information on working in Denmark and at DTU at DTU – Moving to Denmark.
Your complete online application must be submitted no later than 20 January 2024 (23:59 Danish time).
Apply online here: Postdocs in Anaerobic Microbial Consortia
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply now", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Academic Diplomas (MSc/PhD – in English)
- List of publications
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Technology for people DTU develops technology for people. With our international elite research and study programmes, we are helping to create a better world and to solve the global challenges formulated in the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Hans Christian Ørsted founded DTU in 1829 with a clear mission to develop and create value using science and engineering to benefit society. That mission lives on today. DTU has 13,500 students and 6,000 employees. We work in an international atmosphere and have an inclusive, evolving, and informal working environment. DTU has campuses in all parts of Denmark and in Greenland, and we collaborate with the best universities around the world.