Bioinformatician Programmer – Edinburgh Genomics, University of Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh Genomics is a thriving, high impact, international genomics facility based at the University of Edinburgh, providing access to the latest next-generation sequencing, SNP genotyping, microarray and bioinformatics technologies to researchers worldwide. The facility is the second largest in the UK, with a turnover in excess of £3 million per year. Using our state of the art data generation and analysis equipment, we collaborate with research teams to enable leading-edge genomics research in all areas of the biomedical, agricultural and environmental sciences. Edinburgh Genomics is very much a research facility, and we pride ourselves on trialling and implementing new technologies as quickly as we can. Edinburgh Genomics offers now for the Bioinformatics group the following post:
Bioinformatician Programmer (Vacancy Ref: 029429)
We are seeking a skilled Programmer to join our growing Bioinformatics team. The post-holder will have core responsibilities in building and maintaining the underpinning workflows that assure timely and accurate processing of all raw data that is produced at Edinburgh Genomics.
- Developing, implementing and maintaining high-quality pipelines for the processing of large quantities of next-generation sequencing data.
- Developing robust, scalable and secure integrated solutions to high-throughput processing using the facility's high-performance data store and computing installation.
- To implement new pipelines, improve existing ones and improve integration with the facility Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) working in close collaboration with laboratory staff and bioinformaticians.
- Providing training to facility bioinformaticians and other scientists in the use of data processing pipelines and LIMS integration.
- Keeping comprehensive, high-quality and up to date records of tasks performed and reporting to the Edinburgh Genomics Head of Bioinformatics and Bioinformatics Operations Manager.
Essential requirements and skills
- Graduate qualifications in informatics, bioinformatics or computing applied to biological questions, at least to MSc level.
- A high level of programming skill and several years of demonstrable experience in programming, particularly in Python, Perl and Shell scripting.
- Experience and knowledge of good software engineering practice, including use of version control systems (e.g. SVN, Git) and implementation of unit tests.
- Experience working in Linux cluster computing environments with job queue systems like SGE.
- Good interpersonal skills and efficient time and project management skills.
The following aspects will be favourably regarded:
- Experience in bioinformatics programming applied to genomics problems.
- Familiarity with next-generation sequence data.
- Experience with SQL, MySQL and PostgreSQL databases.
For more information regarding job description, requirements, conditions and how to apply you should go to:
The application process is quick and easy to follow, and you will receive email confirmation of safe receipt of your application. The online system allows you to submit a CV and other attachments.
The closing date is 5pm GMT on 27 May 2014.