The Janssen Prevention Center is a new Center of Excellence within Janssen Research & Development, part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson. Launched on January 1, 2015, the center will explore new approaches to disease prevention in major areas of unmet medical need, focusing on the non-communicable diseases that are becoming increasingly important in our aging populations worldwide. These include chronic illnesses like Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
The creation of the Janssen Prevention Center reflects Johnson & Johnson’s commitment to advance disease prevention as the future cornerstone of healthcare. The center will build on ground-breaking vaccine discovery work in the area of infectious diseases that was led by Crucell, a vaccine company acquired by Johnson & Johnson in 2011. Approximately 120 employees currently work at the Janssen Prevention Center, which has its headquarters in the Netherlands and laboratories in the Netherlands, the United States (California) and the United Kingdom.
For our department in London, United Kingdom we are currently seeking a fulltime
The remit of the newly founded JPC laboratory in London is to investigate the role of the human microbiome in health and disease. We are currently assembling a team of experienced microbiologists/microbial ecologists/immunologists and bioinformaticians to apply 16S community analysis, metagenomics, and metabolomics to clinical samples and animal models of human diseases linked to microbiota dysbiosis. We aim to identify factors and mechanisms that might influence/enhance the risk and outcomes associated with these disorders/conditions and to develop products for prevention and treatment.
We are searching for a Senior Bioinformatician to lead a team of talented computer-based scientists.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Using established software, as well as exploring and adapting novel bioinformatics tools and pipelines, to analyse next generation sequencing of microbial communities and metabolomic data sets;
- Writing scripts for multi-dimensional data analyses;
- Visualising large and complex data sets;
- Establishing and maintaining laboratory databases;
- Supporting laboratory members in experimental design and data analysis;
- Forge and manage key collaborative relationships both within and outside of the organization;
- Play a leading role in recruiting members of the computer-based team.
A Doctoral or Master’s degree in an appropriate field of science or technology and related research experience utilising bioinformatic techniques/methods required by the position;
- Proficiency in the use of the 16S analysis pipelines Qiime and Mothur;
- Expertise in the assembly of microbial whole genomes;
- Ability to write scripts for analysing data, for 'gluing together' existing programs, and for mining databases (e.g. in R, perl, python, Matlab, C, C++, or Java);
- Ability to setup and administer a UNIX/LINUX operating system and/or cloud-based computing;
- Ability to create relational databases for managing lab data (e.g. in MySQL or PostgreSQL).
- Experience with software pipelines for metagenomic assembly and data analysis is strongly preferred;
- Familiarity with multi-omics integration of 16S community data and/or metagenomic data and/or metabolomic data is strongly preferred;
- Expertise in data visualization (e.g. using the R packages ggplot2 or Lattice) is considered advantageous;
- Good knowledge of biomedical statistics - in particular experience with the analysis of longitudinal data - is desired;
- Expertise in in silico analysis of metabolic pathways is considered favorable;
- Experience with the design of primers (e.g. using ARB) is desired.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Problem solver;
- Eye for detail;
- Work well in a team environment
What’s in it for you…?
“Caring for the world, one person at a time…”
As an employee we consider you as our most valuable asset. We take your career seriously.
As part of a global team in an innovative environment your development is key and our day-to-day responsibility.
Through e-university, on the job training, various projects and programs, we ensure your personal growth.
Our benefits make sure we care for you and your family now and in the future.
Please visit our jobsite www.careers.jnj.com (Requisition ID 00000TDQ) or click here http://jobs.jnj.com/job/London-Senior-Bioinformatician-Job/222504200/. In parallel, please emailyour application including cover letter and CV to Dr. Marcus Rauch (firstname.lastname@example.org).