Partners Personalized Medicine is seeking a bioinformatician for a dual role supporting our clinical complex and pharmacogenetics program and our translational genomics sequencing core. This program will establish a clinically curated knowledge base for complex and pharmacogenetic risk variants and implement cutting edge clinical tests for these traits. Duties will also include developing genetics and genomics pipelines for external researchers and our clinical laboratory and providing accessible reports for genetic counselors and molecular geneticists. There is roughly a 50-50 percent effort split between the two roles. We are looking for an independent individual who can contribute to multiple projects as part of a highly-integrated team with frequent interactions with the clinical laboratory and IT team, as well as other groups across the center.
Partners Personalized Medicine leverages advances in genomics to help realize the promise of personalized medicine and improve the care of patients both inside and outside the Partners HealthCare system. A successful candidate should have a strong scientific and quantitative background with prior exposure to genetics and/or genomics, excellent problem-solving skills, and the ability to effectively communicate and interact with multidisciplinary staff in a fast-paced environment.
- Advanced degree (PhD or equivalent) in bioinformatics or related field preferred (computer science, computational biology, etc). MS degree may be considered depending on level of relevant experience
- At least 3 years of coding experience with Perl, Python, or Java
- Proficiency in shell scripting and in submitting jobs in a HPC environment
- Experience with creating and managing databases (e.g. MySQL, Oracle SQL)
- Experience with common bioinformatics databases and genome browsers (e.g. NCBI, Ensembl, GenBank, IGV, UCSC)
- Understanding and usage of biostatistics and bioinformatics tools, including common NGS tools (e.g. BWA, samtools, Picard, GATK) and statistical + visualization packages (e.g. R, Bioperl, MATLAB)
- Ability to work with others to set realistic goals and deliver quality work, on schedule, and with minimal supervision
Additional Qualifications (Pluses)
- Experience building web sites for presenting experimental results
- Experience with automation for analysis of large, complex data sets
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a diverse team, while contributing to a high-quality and respectful work environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Partners HealthCare System offers a comprehensive benefits package, including a choice of six medical plans, two dental plans, prescription drug and vision coverage, generous paid time off, disability coverage, retirement plans, flexible spending accounts, and tuition reimbursement.