The DNA Learning Center, an educational unit of the world-renowned Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, is a leader in developing simplified portals and workflows for genome analysis. We currently seek a talented person to work in our multi-disciplinary Educational Informatics and BioMedia Group. Job duties include building web applications to interface with host and client server applications and databases, adapting genomic analysis tools for education and computational biology, and expanding the DNALC’s Internet presence. Some current and upcoming projects include: making a student-friendly web application for metagenomics analysis, developing education portals to the XSEDE supercomputing system, developing software stacks for virtual machines to support undergraduate research, and helping faculty acquire basic Linux/bioinformatics skills via the Software Carpentry project.
Candidates must be technically flexible and comfortable with rapid prototyping and frequent user interaction in a team that includes scientists, educators, and multimedia designers. Candidates must be quick learners and multi-taskers with excellent problem-solving, analytical, and communication skills.
Essential responsibilities include:
• Conceiving, developing, and deploying web applications for use in biology and bioinformatics education
• Coordinating and planning DNALC computational projects, including standard software development/management tools (git/svn, JIRA, etc.)
• Maintaining DNALC websites, registration systems, and analytics
• Teaching faculty and student workshops, including occasional travel
• Supporting DNALC staff
Desired experience and skills:
• Perl, Python programming
• Molecular biology, genetic, and genomics knowledge or research.
• *nix command line and shell scripting
• SQL and MySQL/PostgreSQL RDMBS
• Web frameworks/tools such as Catalyst, Dancer, Drupal, Flask, HTML-Mason
• Bioinformatics tools related to RNA-Seq or other next-generation sequence analyses
• Teaching bioinformatics to students and researchers/faculty
• HPCC and/or cloud computing experience (Amazon, OpenStack) a plus.
Bachelor’s degree required in bioinformatics, computational biology or relevant field, plus a minimum 2 years of bioinformatics experience or a Master’s degree in a relevant field.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
To be considered for this position candidates are required to apply via the CSHL website at: www.cshl.edu/careers
Position Number: 00209-E
CSHL is an EO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status.
For more information about CSHL, please visit us at www.cshl.edu.