Associate Scientist - NGS Informatics @ AstraZeneca (Metro Boston, MA)
The iMed Translational Science function exists to ensure effective strategic Translational Science Biomarker input into project teams. Closely interacting with iScience, functions and collaborators, iMed Translational Science will develop biomarkers for project teams, provide a feasibility assessment and validation of approach, provide a centralized biomarker analysis capability for clinical samples, and provide early clinical phase engagement.
The translational sciences organization will be the single point of accountability for delivery of robust, scientifically-driven biomarkers in all projects. The Translational Genomics Scientist role will be a key driver of biomarker delivery on project teams, ensuring all compounds are contributing towards the overall iMed strategy to become leaders in personalized oncology healthcare.
The Associate Informatician/Information Scientist supports translational scientists working in defined disease areas in drug discovery & development projects to exploit scientific data, information and knowledge and the resolution of specific business problems. The role works in partnership with both local and global customer base to advise on information exploitation including integration, processes and innovative technologies, essential for decision-making. This includes significant project team activity.
* Run industry best practices bioinformatics pipelines and algorithms to analyze high-throughput NGS data
* Developing data analysis strategies, writing algorithms and deploying computational tools and documentation for the exploration of NGS datasets
* Accountable for NGS biomarker data generation, validation and results/report delivery within AZ Oncology project and disease area teams.
* Collaborates with other functions, particularly drug discovery and early development teams and ensures effective communication
* Leverage knowledge of and deliver scientific information platforms, database systems, processes, tools and techniques.
* Collaborates and communicates with the team to ensure efficient transfer of data.
We are looking for an NGS data analysis expert to support sequencing activities in AZ oncology. Applicants must have strong linux skills and be able to talk intelligently about genomics and sequencing. Previous work in oncology is not required, but is preferred.
Education, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
* BA or MS in Computer Science or Bioinformatics
* Excellent communication, presentation, and public speaking skills
* Highly proficient in computational and programming skills; experience with object oriented programming and scripting
* Demonstrated experience with NGS data analysis and interpretation.
* Demonstrated experience with Linux and Unix
* Comfortable with Relational Database (Postgres, MySQL) or NoSQL (MongoDB, Couch)
* Demonstrated experience with scripting languages (Perl, Python, shell) and associated tools
* General knowledge of high performance computing clusters and cloud computing
* General knowledge of Statistics, Mathematical Analysis, R, MATLAB
* M.S. in a Life Science, Computer Science or Information Science preferred with 1-3 years experience, including industry experience.
* Practical industry experience in statistical data analysis as it relates to genomics data.