Computational Scientist @ Selventa
As a computational scientist, you will be responsible for working on research collaborations in the biomarkers/discovery department. You will use molecular profiling to investigate the biological networks activated by diseases and therapeutics in individual patients. Your knowledge of molecular and cellular biology and computational methods will be instrumental in the development of analyses and novel methods for investigating disease as well as response to treatment.
Your background should include strong scientific and computational skills, and an advanced degree in computational biology, bioengineering, or related field. You should have a strong affinity for hypothesis development and testing in a collaborative research environment, and a strong desire to learn new things. Excellent communication skills and a strong customer focus are desired. You will work in a highly skilled team environment, working closely with other scientists and computational scientists, as well as software engineers, statisticians, and project managers. Your team will collaborate with leading pharmaceutical and consumer product scientists, working together to solve some of the toughest problems in personalized medicine.
Candidates should be – or plan to be – local to the Boston area, and authorized to work in the US. While the skills below are desired, if you meet only some of the criteria but can demonstrate problem solving acumen and a drive to learn new skills in a fast-paced environment, we encourage you to apply.
- Minimum Master's Degree in biological science or computational biology and three years relevant work experience
- Ph.D. (or equivalent) Degree in biological science or computational biology preferred
- Ability to devise, implement, and apply computational methods to solve difficult biological problems
- Demonstrable experience writing code to solve difficult biological problems – R or MATLAB proficiency preferred but not required
- Excellent communication and scientific writing skills
- Experience in a project-oriented, deadline-driven team environment
- Attention to detail in a fast-paced environment
Other Desired Qualifications
- Experience working with microarray or other high-throughput experimental data (e.g., genomic, proteomic, metabolomics, RNA-seq data) is a plus
- Statistical or bioinformatics background
- Experience developing classifiers or biomarkers
- Experience working with clinical data
- Strong leadership skills
- Experience in oncology or inflammatory disorders
- Breadth of experience in disease research
How to Apply
- Please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and draft a single paragraph describing how you have addressed a research problem - such as solving biological problems using novel approaches - using your critical thinking and reasoning skills into your cover letter.
- Use "Job Code: COS" in the subject line to ensure delivery to the appropriate hiring manager
- While we appreciate every applicant's interest, we will only be in contact with the candidates being considered for this position
- Recruiters: Please DO NOT contact us about this position