Healx is an award-winning Cambridge, UK startup using cutting edge biological data analysis to repurpose existing drugs to treat rare diseases. We are currently looking to hire a Bioinformatician with expertise in gene expression and/or genomic data analysis.
Key activities and responsibilities
The successful applicant will work with the entire team and engage closely with our Chief Technology Officer and Chief Scientific Officer. They will liaise with various academic partners at the University of Cambridge in order to further develop data analysis pipelines. We strongly encourage the successful applicant to bring in novel scientific ideas in order to advance our drug repositioning analytics.
The successful applicant will:
- develop and implement pipelines for gene expression and genomic data analysis
- utilise and improve upon methods for matching disease and drug profiles
- use machine learning and statistical techniques to exploit integrated biological data
- provide clear communication and visualisation of results
- design, implement and test code in R and/or Python
Skills and experience
We are looking for applicants who have (or are about to obtain) a PhD degree in bioinformatics, computational biology or cheminformatics, or who have a Master’s degree in one of these fields and several years experience.
- expertise in analysing gene expression data (either microarray or RNA-Seq) and/or genomic data using relevant packages such as Bioconductor
- knowledge of combining data from multiple gene expression studies
- extensive experience programming with R, Python or Matlab, ideally in a bioinformatics context
- strong understanding of underlying biology/biochemistry
- previous experience working with human disease and clinical data
- experience in machine learning methods, data clustering and statistical techniques
- knowledge and experience of drug development or drug repurposing
- the ability to document one’s progress and scientific writing skills
- experience working in interdisciplinary teams
Healx is an award-winning start-up based in Cambridge, UK. We are passionate about identifying next-generation drug development opportunities for rare diseases. In order to achieve this goal, Healx combines in-depth drug repositioning expertise with ‘omics data analysis, data mining and machine learning. Our analysis and interpretation of R&D related datasets helps to identify novel drug development opportunities for rare disease patients. Our unique model engages directly with patient groups and charities, placing them at the heart of the discussion.
For more information see http://healx.io
To apply for this vacancy please send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Immediate starting date preferred.