The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations in the world, is seeking a highly motivated software developer to join the GBCS team. At GBCS, we use cutting-edge technologies to develop and provide genomics data management and analysis solutions to EMBL scientists (more information available at http://gbcs.embl.de).
Are you a skilled DevOps, eager to learn new technologies, curious about cutting-edge bioscience, willing to work in a flexible, collaborative and international environment? If so, we are waiting for you!
Qualifications and Experience
Applicants should have an appropriate university degree in computer science or bioinformatics with 3+ years of relevant experience.
Extensive experience in web application development/deployment with Python/Django (with REST API) and modern web technologies (e.g. Node.js, HTML5/CSS, ReactJS, AngularJS) is a must. Experience in unix server administration, database administration/design and PHP programming are highly desirable. Java programming, unix shell scripting, experience with high performance computing (on clusters), data analysis knowledge with e.g. R/Bioconductor are advantageous. Additional experience with large dataset management and knowledge of bioinformatics would make you the ideal candidate.
The successful applicant will have demonstrated experience using standard software development tools (SCMs, unit/db testing, design patterns, database design, code versioning systems, agile development notions). She/he will be well organized, open-minded, able to work on different projects in parallel, proactive (problem solving skills are essential) and have a user-oriented spirit. The candidate should be able to work independently and also interact well within a team environment. A working knowledge of English is a must.
What we offer
- The chance to work with leading, cutting edge technologies both in IT and computational biology
- The opportunity to broaden your skills using open source technologies within a bioinformatics context
- Development of professional and personal skills
- The chance to work in one of the highest ranked scientific research organizations in the world and contribute to this joint effort.
- Working in a young and international environment An initial fixed-term contract of 3 years, renewal up to 9 years
- Competitive salaries exempt from national taxes, with additional allowances for families and non-residents
- Assistance for relocation if needed
Please apply online through http://www.embl.de/jobs/searchjobs/index.php?ref=HD_00865
Should you have further questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.