The Netherlands Institute of Ecology (NIOO-KNAW) offers the position of:
The bioinformatician has a general task to give support to researchers in each of the four NIOO-KNAW research departments. Sequencing projects are very diverse, ranging from bacteria and fungi to plants, insects, birds and genetic material recovered directly from soil or other environmental samples. The bioinformatician’s task involves close interaction with researchers and with ICT staff. Work is aimed at facilitating researchers to perform their bioinformatics analyses, both for sequencing-based and other data-rich research. This includes tutoring and help with data management, building in-house bioinformatic pipelines and facilitating downstream analyses.
The ideal candidate has an academic background, excellent communication skills in English, several years of experience with high-throughput sequencing data, a strong motivation and social skills to support a broad range of different projects, a good network of contacts in the bioinformatics community, and a flexible and cooperative attitude.
- Experience with working in a UNIX environment
- Affinity with system administration tasks for HPC systems
- Good programming skills, preferably Python and R
- Experience with workflow management systems, preferably Snakemake
- Experience with version control systems like Git
- Experience with web-services (R-studio, Gitlab, Galaxy, Genome browsers)
- Motivated to give in-house trainings
- Affinity with data management and stewardship
More information: https://nioo.knaw.nl/en/vacatures/bio-informatician-embedded