The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton (UK) and Monterotondo (Italy).
EMBL Heidelberg will extend access to its world-class cryo-electron microscopy facility for in-house and external users. The cryo-electron microscopy specialist will assist and support internal and external users during sample screening and data collection in EMBL’s cryo-electron microscopy facility that by next year will include two Titan Krios, one Talos Arctica and one Polara microscope with direct detectors. The support engineer will be part of a larger team. His/her job responsibilities will include:
- Introducing new users to the cryo-electron microscopes
- Providing assistance and trouble-shooting to cryo-electron microscope users
- Maintaining and servicing the microscope hardware and software at a basic level, as well as maintaining alignments of the electron microscopes
- Interacting with the microscope manufacturer and engineers to keep the microscopes maintained
- Sample preparation using different techniques in particular cryo-methods
- Data collection and evaluation of data for in-house and external users carrying out structural biology projects
- Basic 3D image processing of single-particle and/or tomography data
- Development of novel acquisition schemes and workflows tailored for a cryo-EM user facility
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will have a degree and several years of experience in cryo-electron microscopy. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills as well as the ability to interact effectively with team members and users are essential. The candidate will be very familiar with hardware and software of FEI TEMs. The post holder should also have basic knowledge in single-particle analysis and/or tomographic data evaluation, so that (s)he can consult users in both data collection and data evaluation. Fluency in English is required.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.