Ospedale San Raffaele, Milan, Italy Laboratory of Human Genetics of Neurological Diseases, Neuroscience Division, Neuro-rehabilitation Department & INSPE
neuropathic pain; painful peripheral neuropathy; cancer pain; palliative care in oncology; complications due to cancer and cancer treatments.
- Degree in Computational Sciences, Bionformatics
- strong interest in pain and palliative care
- fluency in English
- Maximum four years full-time research experience at recruitment (measured from the date when a researcher obtained the degree which would formally entitle him or her to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the researcher is recruited or seconded, irrespective of whether or not a doctorate is or was ever envisaged)
- No PhD degree
- Applicants must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc) in Italy for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to recruitment.
- The Call is open to candidates of all nationalities.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, 7 July 2017
LOCATION: Milan, Italy
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Temporary
JOB STATUS: Full-time
HOURS PER WEEK: 38
OFFER STARTING DATE: Wed, 01 November 2017
DURATION: 36 months
REMUNERATION Approx. 119.461,32 euro (cost-company) over 36 months (the net amount will depend on the contract type, according to the Italian law). In addition a mobility allowance of 21.600 euro (cost-company) over 36 months (for household, relocation and travel expenses) and a family allowance of 9.000 euro (cost-company) over 36 months (applicable for the researcher who has a family at the time of recruitment) will be granted.
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMME H2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions : MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER 721841
Project Title and Work Package(s) to which it is related PAIN-NET project: Whole-exome sequencing (WES) using next-generation sequencing in patients with probable geneticorigin of neuropathic pain.
Research Objectives 1) To apply advanced bioinformatics approach on WES data for filtering and prioritization of rare and functional variants causative of pain symptoms; 2) to integrate WES data with other available transcriptomics and genomics data for biomarker identification.
Training objectives The early stage researcher (ESR) will be enrolled in the PhD program of Molecular Medicine at the University Vita-Salute San Raffaele. The early stage researcher (ESR) will be involved in the different wet protocols connected to NGS analyses. Most part of the time will be devoted to data analysis and data mining and application and development of bioinformatic protocols. Secondment to University of Maastricht (UM) will strengthen the integration of competence in bioinformatic tools and data mining. The ESR will become familiar with wet lab protocols and with bioinformatic tools and related programs that will help to filter and identify putative causative functional variants. The ESR will participate in correlating genomic data with clinical information related to patients.
Expected Results: Identification of causative variants in sodium-channel genes and in other pain-related genes identified using an unbiased approach.
Supervisor: Dr.ssa Federica Esposito
Planned secondments: UM, months 12-15, 3 months, to compare established bioinformatic platforms
Ethics/ Scientific conduct/ Project management/ Grant Writing/ Communication/ Exploitation of results/ Research development career
- Writing of deliverable, reporting and scientific articles
- Participation to monthly remote meeting, participation to on-site management and technical meetings.
- Organization of local and remote events
- Improvement of the visibility: Social networking, web sites, communication, etc.
- Development of the valorization opportunities for the research results.
- Other administrative tasks
The successful candidate will stay in Milan, in Northern Italy. He/she will belong to the clinical and research team. Our team is multidisciplinary and includes medical, nursing, psychosocial science and statistical expertise with access to experts in genetics. Medical specialties in oncology, neurology, pain and palliative care are available and work in an international atmosphere. The working language will be mostly English and Italian. If necessary, in order help overcome the linguistic barrier, he/she will be offered an intensive course of Italian language during the first months of stay. The position is offered for 36 months starting from 01 November 2017. Help will be provided to resettle in Milan.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications should be sent via email to Dr.ssa Federica Esposito at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application should contain a detailed CV (with passport number, date/place of birth), a motivation letter, two letters of recommendation, and English writing samples (e.g., prior publication /thesis excerpt). Deadline: Friday, 7 July 2017 at 23:59, Brussels time (CET) For any information or query related to this position please contact the administrative assistant at email@example.com