General Summary/ Overview Statement
The Systems Biology and Computer Science Program (SBCSP) and the Patsopoulos Laboratory in the Ann Romney Center for Neurological Diseases (ARCND) are looking for a Bioinformatician to work on integration of state-of-the-art computational approaches with experimental breakthroughs, in order to address the cryptic nature of neurological diseases. The Patsopoulos Laboratory is affiliated with the Brigham & Women's Hospital, the Harvard Medical School, and the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard.
We are looking for exceptional candidates with a strong computational background that will become key member of our interdisciplinary team of talented scientists.
The Bioinformatician will develop, analyze and integrate big data from high throughput studies such as genome-wide association studies and next generation sequencing datasets. The Bioinformatician will leverage on extensive data available from in-house produced studies or relevant publicly available repositories; will utilize tools and algorithms available to the community; and will implement novel approaches in order to tackle beyond the state-of the-art problems.
Applicants should have strong expertise and extensive experience in analyzing high throughput biological data (WGS, RNA-Seq, ChIP-Seq, etc), as well as in algorithmic design and implementation. Additionally, robust understanding of molecular biology, immunology and neurological diseases is desirable.
The position can start immediately or upon mutual agreement. Salary will be according to credentials and experience. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
- Explore, analyze and integrate various types of high-throughput molecular data, including: GWAS, NGS, RNA-Seq, ChIP-Seq and single cell approaches.
- Implement computational approaches for the functional characterization of findings, including relevant pathway identification and key gene prioritization.
- Manage the local High Performance Computing (HPC) Infrastructure, and utilize the remote HPC infrastructures available to the Program.
- Develop pipelines, scripts, and new algorithmic approaches for the analysis and integration of high throughput molecular datasets.
- Present and report methods, results and conclusions both internally and outside the group, as required.
- Perform complete data validation and error detection, version control, code and knowledge sharing, while ensuring data security, integrity measures are met.
- Contribute in the preparation of scientific manuscripts; presentations of results or new tools for the department and/or national and international conferences.
Skills/ Abilities/ Competencies Required
- Good grasp of Computer Science algorithm theory and applications to biological problems
- Extensive experience in Programming in R, C/C++, and Python or Perl
- Experience in the analysis of next generation sequencing data
- Familiar with molecular biology databases and high throughput data repositories
- Sound statistical knowledge
- Expertise in Linux/Unix environments; computing server administration.
- Experience in high performance computing or cloud computing
- Firm grasp of genetics, genomics and molecular biology
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to work, research and identify optimal solutions independently
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative and intellectually challenging environment
- Ability to demonstrate critical thinking and creative problem-solving abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Verbal and written English language fluency
Application Link: BWH Application Web Page