Python Developer For 32-40 hours per week.
Apply before: 29th of may 2018
What would you do?
For our bioinformatics team we are looking for a Python Developer for 36-40 hours per week in Roelofarendsveen (near Amsterdam, the Netherlands)
In this role, you have the opportunity to write production quality code to ensure continuous and automatic processing of genomics data. Besides writing code, you will teach your colleagues how to improve their coding and testing skills. You advocate and implement best practices for collaborative software development in a small team of 3 bioinformaticians and a biotechnologist. You are responsible for ensuring the quality and accuracy of our production pipelines using continuous integration and behavior driven development (BDD).
About the organization
Naktuinbouw is the quality control organization of the horticultural sector. The Dutch horticultural sector is leading internationally. Naktuinbouw fulfills a societal responsibility by advancing and monitoring the quality and health of (plant) propagation material. The Laboratory Department offers a range of laboratory tests to professional horticultural companies with which the health and quality of plant material can be determined. We use advanced and reliable techniques based on the latest scientific insights. The R&D team develops new assays for the laboratory and molecular methods for identifying and distinguishing plant cultivars. At the R&D department we innovate in:
- DNA and RNA sequencing based diagnostics of plant pathogens by developing methods and best practices, both in the lab and on the computer (in silico)
- Visioning, drones for detection of plant health in fields, analysis of imaging data
- See https://vimeo.com/249051311
We are a financially healthy employer with an excellent reputation in which employees interact in an open and informal fashion.
Who is eligible?
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience
- An MSc degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Informatics or Bioinformatics (with a software engineering BSc) or 5+ years of software development experience
- Excellent knowledge of version control (git), Python, R and Unix environments and tools (e.g. bash, awk, sed, grep) as demonstrated by several well organized an documented projects available on github or a similar code sharing platform.
- You are proficient in automated testing, test and behavior-driven development. If not, you are working towards this goal.
- You have excellent teaching / coaching skills to help your colleagues improve in writing great software, testing code and developing specifications
- You are a Team-player
- You have good communication skills and your writing style is succinct, structured and clear. You can communicate effectively with both technical colleagues and non-technical stakeholders
- You have extensive experience in collaborative software development
What can we offer?
We offer an interesting, multifaceted position in an ambitious organization. This naturally includes an appropriate remuneration and a year-end bonus. You are encouraged to continuously develop your professional skills by following training courses to improve your future prospects. We also offer attractive secondary employment benefits. Think of a favorable pension scheme, 8% holiday bonus, extra days off, an additional health insurance allowance and a personal budget for sustainable employability. For this role, we offer a career path in which you can grow towards a function of senior software developer.
Want to know more?
For technical / specific questions, please contact Michel Ebskamp (Research & Development), tel +31(0)71 332 62 37. For more information about the application procedure, please contact Michael Schot (P & O advisor), tel. +31(0)71 332 62 12 You can respond to this vacancy up to and including 29th of May 2018.