Software Engineer, Computational Genomics Lab/ Platform
About our organization: The Genomics Institute creates advanced technologies and open-source genomics platforms to unravel evolutionary patterns, molecular processes and the underpinnings of disease. Our platforms, technologies and scientists unite global communities to create and deploy data-driven, life-saving treatments and innovative environmental, conservation efforts. The Genomics Institute is openly and responsibly sharing what is learned and created with the entire genomics community. It is a public university institution dedicated to creating a healthier world.
The Computational Genomics Platform (CGP) team uses big data technologies to facilitate genomic research for global health issues such as breast cancer and other genetic risk factors. The team collaborates with many universities and institutes around the world. Examples of projects include supporting a global team to create the Human Cell Atlas, a compendium that maps gene activity in each cell in the human body, and the National Health Institute Data Commons project, which is about developing the technology to share and combine controlled access to genomic data across different institutes.
Job description: The Software Engineer develops software for the Computational Genomics Platform (https://cgl.genomics.ucsc.edu/team/) to support a wide variety of grant deliverables. They use skills as a seasoned, experienced bioinformatics programming professional with a broad understanding of computational algorithms to identify and resolve a wide range of issues/software bugs. The incumbent solves dynamic and challenging problems, learning new technologies as necessary and collaborating with colleagues and external partners. The Software Engineer uses Agile software development methods to produce reliable and reusable code that will be used in leading genomics science. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions and operates independently.
If you are excited to work in a fast-paced, start-up like environment within an institution of higher education in beautiful Santa Cruz, California, we encourage you to apply!
- Bachelor's degree in biological science, computational / programming, or related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Experience with and demonstrated knowledge of applications programming, web development, and data structures.
- Experience with and demonstrated an understanding of database technologies.
- Advanced interpersonal skills in order to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization, including senior project leadership.
- Ability to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to interface with management on a regular basis.
- Demonstrated advanced problem-solving skills.
- Programming skills in Python or similar languages.
- Experience with Cloud computing or distributed computing environments.
- Experience with development and operation of Unix/Linux based servers.
- Experience with and demonstrated knowledge of bioinformatics methods.
- Demonstrated knowledge of bioinformatics programming design, modification, and implementation.
- Knowledge of and experience applying web application and data security concepts and methods.
Benefits: This position is eligible for full UC benefits
Salary: Starting Salary Range: $75,000-$90,000/annually; Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience
Follow the link TO APPLY!