JOB TITLE: Bioinformatics Staff Scientist
LOCATION: Center for Health Research, Danville, PA
WORK SCHEDULE: Days
WORK TYPE: Full Time
Responsible for conducting and supervising research in computational biology, bioinformatics, quantitative genomics or a related field under the supervision of a Research Faculty member. Assumes responsibility for a specific topic within the research program and supervises the postdoctoral fellows and support staff in the conduct of that research.
Directly accountable to the sponsoring Faculty member.
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Demonstrates extensive knowledge base in computational biology, bioinformatics, quantitative genomics or related field.
- Demonstrates strong critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills.
- Demonstrates the ability to work in an independent manner and complete increasingly complex assignments.
- Demonstrates strong teamwork skills and the ability to work effectively in a group environment
- Demonstrates exceptional organizational, planning, and analytical skills.
- Demonstrates competence in written, oral, and electronic communication skills (interpersonal/communication and technological effectiveness competencies).
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ph.D. in computational biology, bioinformatics, quantitative genomics or related field or M.D./D.O. with appropriate bioinformatics background is preferred; exceptional individuals with other advanced degrees demonstrating superior skills and knowledge maybe considered.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience is preferred.
- In addition, there is an expectation of a minimum of 5 peer reviewed publications in which the candidate made a significant contribution.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Work is typically performed in research environment.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
OUR PURPOSE & VALUES:
Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING:We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
HENRY HOOD CENTER FOR HEALTH RESEARCH (HHCHR): Located on Geisinger Medical Center's campus in Danville, Pa. was founded in 2003 and is a comprehensive enterprise that promotes traditional health services and clinical, epidemiologic and translational research.
ABOUT GEISINGER: One of the nation's most innovative health services organizations, Geisinger serves more than 1.5 million patients in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The system includes 13 hospital campuses, a nearly 600,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. Geisinger is known for its focus on caring and innovative programs including the ProvenCare® best-practice approach to maximize quality, safety and value; ProvenHealth Navigator® advanced medical home; Springboard Health® population health program to improve the health of an entire community; ProvenExperience™ to provide refunds to patients unhappy with their care experience; and Geisinger's MyCode® Community Health Initiative, the largest healthcare system-based precision health project in the world. With more than 215,000 volunteer participants enrolled, MyCode is conducting extensive research and returning medically actionable results to participants. A physician-led organization, with approximately 32,000 employees and more than 1,800 employed physicians, Geisinger leverages an estimated $12.7 billion positive annual impact on the Pennsylvania and New Jersey economies. Repeatedly recognized nationally for integration, quality and service, Geisinger has a long-standing commitment to patient care, medical education, research and community service. For more information, visit geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and domestic partners.
* Perhaps just as important, from senior management on down, we encourage an atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality.
** Does not qualify for J-1 waiver. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status.
*Domestic partner benefits not applicable at Geisinger Holy Spirit.
Contact Us: email@example.com