The HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology (www.hudsonalpha.org) is a non-profit organization with the mission to use biotechnology and basic biological research to make important discoveries, improve human health, stimulate economic development, inspire young people to seek careers in science and teach members of the public the importance of science in their everyday lives. Located in Cummings Research Park in Huntsville, Alabama, one of the world's leading science and technology parks, HudsonAlpha's campus contains state-of-the-art laboratories for biological research and development, as well as education, in the areas of genomics, genetics and personalized medicine.
The Clinical Informatics group is multi-disciplinary, comprising software developers, statisticians, bio-informaticians, biological analysts, etc. with a reputation for responsiveness and excellence. The group's purpose is the development and maintenance of a robust suite of software tools and databases for clinical services, processes, and interpretation of genetic test results.
The Systems Architect will oversee software development efforts by the Clinical Informatics group, establish data model standards across the clinical enterprise, oversee the development of APIs that enable interoperability between databases and software tools, manage the interactions between internal and external software developers, and ensure compliance with HIPAA regulations.
JOB SPECIFIC TASKS
This position will be involved in:
- Development of data model standards and protocols within clinical standards
- Management of internal and external software development efforts
- Communication and coordination with IT group
- Establishment of policies and procedures to ensure health privacy and security
- Interaction with Clinical Services Lab for quality management
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- 5+ years experience in software development
- Excellent communication skills
- Management experience
- Proficient in Java, python, RESTful development
- HIPAA compliance experience
- Beneficial Qualifications:
- Familiarity with Hadoop/MapReduce
- Familiarity with NoSQL databases (Mongo, HBase, etc)
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
The physical requirements and environmental conditions of this position consist primarily of:
- Continuous mental and visual attention
- Ability to work at a computer monitor for significant portions of the work day
- On-call availability and periodic overtime
It is the policy of HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology, in accordance with all applicable laws, to recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.