The Division of Biological Sciences (www.biology.ucsd.edu) invites applications for Teaching Professor positions at the tenure-track Assistant Professor or tenured Associate or Full Professor level. The incumbent’s primary responsibility will be to teach undergraduate courses for biology majors. Candidates with research backgrounds in any subfield of biology will be considered; we are particularly interested in candidates with significant experience in bioinformatics, biostatistics, computational biology, molecular biology, and/or fostering equity and inclusion and student success in undergraduate science education programs. In addition to teaching and service, the incumbent will also advance science education at UCSD and beyond through professional activities such as conducting and disseminating pedagogical research in science teaching methodologies.
The Division of Biological Sciences at UCSD is a vibrant center of scientific discovery, innovation, and collaboration. Our large research base spans many areas of biology and has one of the most celebrated graduate programs in the country. We are committed to academic excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff, and student body. All candidates must have earned a Ph.D. or equivalent degree in Biology or a related field which should be documented and explained in the application. In addition, the successful candidate is expected to have:
• College-level teaching experience, with demonstrated success teaching undergraduates. Candidates should demonstrate knowledge of and experience employing instructional strategies tied to contemporary research on the science of learning (i.e., evidence-based teaching);
• Knowledge of and/or experience in professional activities that advance science education beyond a single institution, such as development of a research program investigating the science of learning and teaching related to the applicant’s area of expertise;
• A commitment to equity and inclusion in higher education. Demonstrated ability to address the educational and academic needs of a diverse student population, including developing effective teaching strategies for the educational advancement of students from groups who are underrepresented in higher education;
• Potential to serve as an effective leader in the educational program of the Division of Biological Sciences.
• Associate and Full Professor candidates must possess strong leadership skills. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and based on University of California pay scales. Initial review of applications will commence on October 28, 2019 and will continue until position is filled.
Interested applicants must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching, statement of science professional activities in science education, statement describing their past experience and leadership in fostering equity and diversity and/or their potential to make future contributions, and 1-3 publications. For information on preparing diversity statements and divisional initiatives to promote diversity, see: http://facultyequity.ucsd.edu/Faculty-Applicant-C2D-Info.asp and http://biology.ucsd.edu/diversity/index.html. Applicants at the Assistant Professor level need to submit 3-5 references, and applicants at the Associate or Full Professor level need to provide contact information for 3-5 references.
Applications must be submitted through the University of California San Diego’s Academic Personnel RECRUIT System: Assistant Rank: https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/JPF02231 Associate or Full Rank: https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/JPF02232
Further details about the required application material can be found at: http://biology.ucsd.edu/jobs/apply-lrf-lsoe.html UCSD is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity (http://diversity.ucsd.edu/). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.