The Garnett lab works at the cutting edge of cancer research and has an international reputation for producing large scale datasets that catalyse efforts to find new clinical cancer therapeutics. An exciting new opportunity now exists for a software developer to join our informatics team.
The successful applicant will build software to explore large scale pharmacogenomic datasets and help disseminate the findings to the worldwide community. They will work directly with lab scientists and cancer researchers to facilitate their work. Candidates should have an interest in some, or all, of the following: data science, data visualization, web development and cloud architecture. They will have previous experience working with biological or other scientific data.
We use the latest genomic techniques including genome-wide CRISPR screens to find the molecular determinants of cancers and identify vulnerabilities that can be targeted by drug treatments. Our multidisciplinary team of lab scientists, data scientists and software developers work together to produce science that will have clinical impact.
Quality software is vital to the running of our lab and in analysing the experiments we perform. Our websites allow us to share our results with the international cancer research community - we currently host three world-leading and widely used cancer therapeutics portals.
Ideal Skills: Experience building and consuming REST APIs Experience with modern web development frameworks such as React, Angular or Vue Knowledge of other programming languages, e.g., R, Perl Experience with dataset dashboard development, e.g. using R Shiny or Python Dash Developing code in software containers (e.g. Docker) and in cloud environments (e.g. OpenStack, AWS, Azure)
Other information: Closing Date: 4th February 2020
Please apply online and include a cover letter with your application describing how you meet the essential criteria for the role.
About Us: The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a world leading genomics research centre. We undertake large-scale research that forms the foundations of knowledge in biology and medicine. Our findings are used to improve health and to understand life on Earth. Find out more at www.sanger.ac.uk or follow us on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Youtube and on our Blog.
Our campus Set across 130 acres, just outside of Cambridge, The Sanger Institute is located on the stunning Wellcome Genome Campus. Home to some of the world's foremost institutes and organisations in genomics and computational biology, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale, and creativity to solve some of humanity's greatest challenges.
Our benefits: There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Genome Wellcome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement. As well as the usual benefits you would expect, we go much further:
- 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
- Auto-enrolment into a generous Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with enhanced company contribution (for more information, see our Pensions page)
- Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
- Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children and Summer holiday club
- Life Assurance Cover and a Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract of 12 months or more)
- Enhanced maternity leave and parental leave Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
- Private Healthcare Scheme (after 6 months service) Eyecare and
- Dental payment plans Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Genome Wellcome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
- Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
- A car-share initiative
- Free parking
- A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
- A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events.
Find out more about our Genome Wellcome Campus.
We hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.