Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Staff Category: Staff Member
Contract Duration: 3 years
Closing Date: 29 February 2020
Reference Number: HD01688
EMBL is seeking an expert in Computational Biology to join the Korbel research group in the Genome Biology Unit. The position holder will actively participate in the design, development, and implementation of interoperable workflows and pipelines to enable the analysis of data from the latest genomics sequencing platforms. The post holder will analyse large numbers of clinically relevant human genomes and single cell sequencing data using cloud technologies and high-performance compute clusters.
- Develop new computational workflows and analytical methods for human genome data analysis
- Design, develop and implement cloud-based workflows for single-cell sequencing protocols such as Strand-Seq and 10X Genomics
- Integrate tools in pipelines and workflows and optimize their interoperability, efficiency, usability and portability
- Provide support for cutting-edge research projects of the Korbel group by helping and advising researchers with their experimental design, data analysis and interpretation of results
- Collaborate and interact with other scientists at EMBL and partner networks (Elixir, de.NBI) in an international, interdisciplinary, and highly collaborative work environment
- A PhD or equivalent qualification in a quantitative science (Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Physics, Mathematics or Computer Science) with solid experience in handling large-scale genomics data
- Strong interest in computational biology and genomics data analysis
- Programming skills in a scripting language, R and a high-level programming language
- An interest in cutting-edge molecular biology and its data-generating technologies
- A basic understanding of molecular genetics and cancer research
- Strong communication skills as well as the ability to interact with other scientists and to work in an international and interdisciplinary team
You might also have
- Prior expertise in the application of cloud computing in genomics
- Practical knowledge in sequencing data analysis, statistics or machine learning
- Experience in analysing single cell omics/genomics data sets
- Experience as a software developer or package maintainer for genomics data analysis
- Knowledge of scientific authoring frameworks, web service development or data management technologies
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, and the availability of an excellent child care facility on campus. You will be involved in cutting-edge projects and activities and will collaborate with experts from the scientific community and have the possibility to acquire new state-of-the-art skills.
What else you need to know
The Korbel group at the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) combines experimental and computational approaches – including single-cell sequencing technology, genome sequencing, big data analytics, and machine learning – to unravel determinants and consequences of germline and somatic genetic variation. Our group is using bulk as well as single cell-based omics approaches for investigating mechanisms behind complex phenotypes in humans, ranging from common diseases including cancer to ageing. An over-arching theme centers on the formation and selection of germline and somatic genetic variation in health and disease states, in particular genomic structural variation (SV).
Please apply online through our website.