Bioinformatics Analyst II #1611
Fort Detrick, MD, US
Where to apply: http://bnbi.org/careers-2/current-opportunities/
The National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center (NBACC) is a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) federal laboratory sponsored by the DHS Science and Technology Directorate and operated by the Battelle National Biodefense Institute, LLC (BNBI).
Support bioinformatics projects within NBFAC by providing bioinformatics analysis and interpretation to enable the efficient and reproducible analysis of bioforensic samples.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 2 years of a related experience (may include post doctoral experience) in a biological or computation discipline, or a PhD in Bioinformatics, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Virology or Computer Science.
- Strong biological background and demonstrated ability to interpret bioinformatic data.
- Familiarity with genomic sequence data and derived data types, and relevant software and databases for bioinformatic analysis.
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) in their scientific engineering discipline.
- Expertise in operating in a UNIX/Linux environment.
- Preferred fluency in scripting languages (e.g., Bash, Perl, Python, R).
- Preferred familiarity with computing clusters and associated job management software (e.g., SGE, Condor, Hadoop, SLURM).
- Experience installing research-grade bioinformatics software developed by third parties and performing basic system administration tasks a plus.
- May supervise technical personnel.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Exemplary organizational skills with a proven track record of working effectively both independently and as a team player.
- Knowledge or experience with biocontainment facilities and procedures, laboratory safety, biosurety, and decontainment is desirable.
- Skills and experience to support laboratory activities and work in accordance with NBACC’s management system (e.g., ISO).
- Must be a citizen of the United States, able to obtain and maintain an interim secret clearance leading to a top secret clearance, suitability for DHS, a favorable adjudication of the Department of Justice (DoJ) for select agent access, and enrollment in the Personnel Reliability Program (PRP). Current clearance(s) desirable.
- Participation in the Immunization Program through Frederick Health Employer Solutions (FHES) is required.
- May be required to participate in NBACC’s alternative work and/or on-call schedule, dependent upon business needs.
- Provides general bioinformatics analysis support for bioinformatics projects, integrating biological expertise and computational analyses.
- Works with Bioinformatics group personnel to develop, test, and maintain modular software workflows for genomic sequence processing, assembly, annotation, metagenomic analysis, and genotyping using high-throughput sequencing platforms such as Illumina, Pacific Biosciences, and Oxford Nanopore Technologies.
- Manages genomic data, including loading and querying data from database systems, downloading data from public repositories, and transforming data into necessary formats.
- Works on problems of diverse scope in which analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
- Exercises judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. May be technical project lead on multiple projects.
- Works on assignments requiring considerable judgment and initiative, while understanding the implications of work and making recommendations for solutions.
- Receives no instruction on daily work, general instructions on newly introduced assignments, and communicates promptly with recommended solutions.
- Adapts quickly to new work assignments, performs assignments outside area of expertise, demonstrates technical proficiency, and manages resources efficiently.
- Formulates difficult scientific hypotheses, demonstrates success in technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others and thinks independently.
- May determine methods and procedures on new assignments, while mentoring subordinates and/or technical personnel.
- Maintains a safe work environment by participating in specialized training and review of safety manuals and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Develops techniques and performs tests and analyses according to appropriate SOPs.
- Identifies departures from the Quality Management System (QMS) and initiates actions to investigate and prevent such occurrences.
- Serves as a member of a team in developing, validating, and maintaining methods for identifying and characterizing biological threat agents.
- Ensures that equipment and supplies are maintained and used properly.
- Maintains appropriate records.
- Performs other assigned duties.
BNBI is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.