Kinomica is seeking an experienced bioinformatician to support proteomics data analysis activities using our proprietary phosphoproteomic KScan™ technology. Your primary role is to run and maintain Kinomica’s suite of bioinformatics tools to analyse large proteomics and phosphoproteomics datasets and to build new and innovative bioinformatics solutions. You will also be expected to lead projects taking responsibility for the management of several in-house or pharmaceutical R&D projects ensuring high quality delivery on time and within budget, which requires excellent communication, teamwork, and time management skills. You will ideally have experience working in a GLP or similar regulated environment.
Based at Alderley Park, Macclesfield (can also work remotely)
Responsibilities and Duties
- Run and maintain Kinomica’s suite of bioinformatics tools to analyse large proteomics and phosphoproteomics datasets.
- Build new and innovative bioinformatics solutions.
- Help to streamline / semi-automate the current bioinformatics workflows (e.g., building apps in Shiny) so that data analysis tools are available for colleagues who are not proficient in programming.
- Identify and quantify peptides from raw data using proteomic data analysis software.
- Keep up to date with technical developments, especially those which can save time and improve reliability.
- Conduct literature searches on identified topics relevant to the field of proteomics and bioinformatics.
- Assist with the management of commercial and in-house projects.
- Correspond with customers and collaborators during the whole project lifecycle.
- Assist customers with experimental design.
- Assist with resource management and planning to ensure experiments are delivered on time.
- Interpret and present results to colleagues and customers.
- Attend conferences to network, gain knowledge and present key findings from Kinomica’s. You will report to Kinomica’s Chief Scientific Officer
Qualifications and Skills
- PhD qualification or equivalent experience in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, or similar discipline
3 years’ experience in proteomic bioinformatics
- Fluent in R
- Experience in handling, modelling, and drawing inferences from large volume biological datasets
- Experience using software for the identification, characterisation and quantification of peptides and proteins from LC-MS/MS raw data
- Knowledge of bioinformatics resources for biological data interrogation and interpretation
- Demonstrated ability to develop scripts / tools to automate analysis
- Ability to work to timeline
- Excellent communication skills and teamwork skills
- Excellent organisational skills and time management skills
- Ability to contribute to the team success (training colleagues, providing scientific input during meetings keeping a healthy working atmosphere within the team)
Non-essential but added advantage:
- Previous experience working in small-medium enterprises (e.g., start-up, biotech) or a pharmaceutical company
- GLP experience or working in a regulated environment
- Laboratory experience including phospho-proteomic and/or proteomic approaches
- Fluent in Python
- Strong technical knowledge of MS-based proteomics applications and bioinformatics required to support analysis of the data produced by mass spectrometry
- Customer-facing experiences
- A demonstrated ability to explain novel and standard methods to customers and colleagues
- Experience with Amazon web services or similar
- A working knowledge of C++
- Experience with applying innovative and fit for purpose statistical and predictive modelling methods for the analysis of high dimensional data
- Experience in applying Bayesian statistical methods
- Strong track record of methodological and applied research, conference presentations and publications
- Knowledge and understanding of fundamental principles of biochemical and molecular biological systems
- Experience of statistical analysis of clinical trial data, particularly for the development of companion diagnostics
Please contact email@example.com if interested