About the Company
4D Pharma PLC is a pharmaceutical company focussed on developing therapeutics from the human gut microbiome. Live biotherapeutic products (LBPs) derived from the gut microbiome represent a new class of drugs that contain live organisms for the prevention, treatment or cure of disease. 4D Pharma is a world leader in the LBP field and currently has two clinical stage programmes (in IBS and IBD) and a strong pipeline of pre- clinical programmes in autoimmunity, inflammation, oncology and CNS disease.
Purpose of the Job
Applications are invited for a bioinformatician specialising in bacterial genomics, to join a cross-disciplinary team at 4D Pharma Research Ltd (UK). The successful candidate will be responsible for the genomic characterisation of a large collection of bacterial strains. This role will involve the assembly and annotation of bacterial genomes and the candidate will need to have experience in the processing and integration of sequence datasets from different sequencing platforms. A strong background in comparative genomics and bacterial genome mining is essential for this role and experience working with a Linux system is highly desirable. The ability to utilise genomic data to answer biological questions is fundamental to this role. This is a full-time position which will support the in silico characterisation of bacterial strains as part of the proprietary MicroRx discovery platform within 4D Pharma Research Ltd. We are seeking an individual with a proven ability to develop and undertake independent, high quality research. The post holder will be an integral part of the research team and will present results at project meetings; write reports; and contribute to the generation of intellectual property. Remote working is a possibility within the UK and Ireland.
Essential qualifications and experience
- PhD or MSc Degree in bioinformatics, microbial genomics, microbiology, or related discipline
- At least 2 years of post doc experience in the field of in microbial bioinformatics/genome mining,or equivalent experience working in an industrial environment.
- Proficient in the processing and integrative analysis of NGS datasets from different sequencing platforms.
- Strong background in genome annotation.
- Extensive experience in microbial genome mining.
- Experience working with transcriptome datasets is highly desirable.
- Experience working on a Linux system.
- Knowledge of R/Python/Perl programming skills.
- Experience of working with RNASeq data would be advantageous.
- Evidence of a track record of independent critical thinking and scientific achievement.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-driven with the ability to work independently, as well as integrate into a multidisciplinary team of microbiologists and bioinformaticians.
- Able to keep accurate and detailed records of data and results.
- Good organisational and communication skills.
How to apply
Please send all applications to:
- 01224 900 460