The Genetics and Genome Biology Program at the Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) Research Institute is seeking an enthusiastic postdoctoral researcher to work in close collaboration with research and clinician scientists in analyzing next generation sequencing data of individuals with genetic disorders.
With the direction of principal supervisor Dr. Ryan Yuen, you will work closely with affiliated staff, as well as bioinformaticians at SickKids, to study the genetics of neurodevelopmental and neurological disorders.
The Yuen lab is developing and implementing new technologies and computational algorithms to perform genome-wide analysis of tandem repeats. Our aims are to genotype tandem repeats on large genomic datasets, as well as determine the role, and characterize the mechanism, of tandem repeat variation. The Yuen lab also performs whole genome sequence analysis to investigate different forms of rare genetic variation in neurodevelopmental and neurological disorders, such as autism spectrum disorder, movement disorders, epilepsy, and schizophrenia.
A substantial amount of data, and tools, already exist for these ongoing projects (e.g., Trost et al, 2020 Nature and Mojarad et al, 2021 Transl Psychiatry). The postdoctoral researcher will be able to jump straight into existing projects, and lead genome analyses.
This position is remote until the pandemic allows for a return to in-person activity.
- PhD in a relevant area (e.g., genetics or computational biology).
- Track record of publishing scientific papers in top journals as a lead author.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written).
- Be able to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Experience in the analysis of next generation sequencing data is preferred.
- Experience in clinical research would be an asset.
- Initial contract will be for a period of two years, with the possibility of extension.
- We offer a competitive salary based on qualifications and experience.
- In addition, we offer an attractive benefits package, that includes extended health and dental coverage.
- The Research Institute offers many opportunities for career development and additional training as part of the Research Training Centre.
Additional information Contact Dr. Yuen at email@example.com for more information.
If you wish to apply directly, please send a CV, a cover letter with your future research interests, relevant background and career goals, and contact information for three references.