Super excited to be doing this program for 4 years in a row. Previous intern and co-op projects include the following:
- Developed a serverless web application to design antisense oligonucleotides
- Quantified the bias of amino acid usage in human exons
- Aggregated and visualized next-generation sequencing and genomics data
- Developed a motif searching tool from RNA-protein interaction data
Stoke Therapeutics (Nasdaq: STOK), is a biotechnology company dedicated to addressing the underlying cause of severe diseases by up-regulating protein expression with RNA-based medicines. Using the company’s proprietary TANGO (Targeted Augmentation of Nuclear Gene Output) approach Stoke is developing antisense oligonucleotides (ASOs) to selectively restore protein levels. The company’s first compound, STK-001 is in clinical testing for the treatment of Dravet syndrome, a severe and progressive genetic epilepsy. Dravet syndrome is one of many diseases caused by haploinsufficiency, in which a loss of ~50% of normal protein levels leads to disease. The company is pursuing treatment for a second haploinsufficient disease, autosomal dominant optic atrophy (ADOA), the most common inherited optic nerve disorder. Stoke’s initial focus is haploinsufficiency and diseases of the central nervous system and the eye, although proof of concept has been demonstrated in other organs, tissues, and systems, supporting the company’s belief in the broad potential for its proprietary approach. Stoke is headquartered in Bedford, Massachusetts with offices in Cambridge, Massachusetts. For more information, visit https://www.stoketherapeutics.com/ or follow the company on Twitter at @StokeTx.
Working on the Bioinformatics team at Stoke, the intern will collaborate with PhD-level data and experimental scientists to develop and expand internal computing capabilities within the Amazon Web Services cloud environment. The intern will have the opportunity to pick software development or data analysis projects that best align with their academic training and long-term career goals. The candidate will have access to cutting-edge methodology and technologies such as cloud computing, docker containers, and serverless web applications to deliver complex data analytics to end users. The candidate will work in a highly dynamic and collaborative environment and gain vast expertise in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Working toward a technical degree in Bioinformatics, Systems Biology, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, or any related quantitative field
- Must be proficient in Python
- Must be comfortable working in Linux/Unix command line environments
- The ability to work independently both individually as well as on a team of people with diverse technical backgrounds
Highly Desired Experience:
- Previous experience in computational analysis of biological data
- Understanding of snakemake and how directed acyclic graphs are used to build dependencies
- Familiarity with cloud computing, especially in serverless computing using AWS Lambda
- Previous experience in using Container as a Service (CaaS)
- Proficiency in R programming
Duration: Either 3 months (summer) or 6 months (summer/fall), with flexible start and end dates.
Primary Location: Remote locations in the US.
Apply: Please send your resume/CV to email@example.com