EMBL is seeking to recruit a service Bioinformatician/data scientist at EMBL Heidelberg. The position is available in the group of Peer Bork, and will be integrated in the upcoming data science center at EMBL-Heidelberg from 2022 onwards. The successful candidate will be responsible for disseminating expertise, know-how, and guidance in the field of biological data integration and network analysis throughout the six EMBL sites, addressing computational biologists’ and experimentalists’ needs. The position is embedded in a larger data science service strategy and data science activities, aiming to increase the knowledge and usage of data for integrative network biology in research groups at the EMBL.
The Bioinformatician will support research groups across EMBL by
- providing assistance with and consulting on data analysis, integration, visualisation, and interpretation contributing to selected larger research projects
- introducing EMBL researchers to relevant software tools
- providing scripts and pipelines for data processing and visualisation
- organising courses, seminars, and journal clubs on the aforementioned topics individually and in collaboration with the EMBL data science community
- creating, maintaining, and updating an internal repository of network biology resources
- A PhD or equivalent qualification in bioinformatics, (bio)statistics, or computational biology, with strong skills and experience in data processing, analysing, visualising, and interpreting biological data.
- Advanced experience with scripting languages (R or Python) with knowledge of packages such as ggplot2, matplotlib, and tools such as iGraph or Cytoscape.
- Experience with network analysis and graph theory (centrality measures, clustering, linear algebra, NNMF etc.) and knowledge of network inference methods.
- Familiarity with commonly-used biological data repositories such as GEO, Gene Expression Atlas, Gene Ontology, Protein Atlas, STRING, IntAct, ChEMBL, KEGG, and Reactome.
- Working knowledge of accessing public repositories via APIs, packages or downloadable files for extraction and processing of data in various formats
- Self-motivated and the ability to operate independently, taking responsibility for your own work.
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills, and a strong motivation to work in a multidisciplinary environment.
You might also have
Experience in the following areas: i) Molecular, cellular, or chemical biology, ii) Multi-omics data integration, iii) Ontologies for drugs, diseases, or genes, iv) Version control systems (such as git)
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family and the availability of an excellent child care facility on campus.
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1600 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome. Our mission is to offer vital services in training scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences and actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research. Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
Initial contract is for 3 years with a possibility of renewal up to 9 years.
Please follow the link to apply: https://www.embl.org/jobs/position/HD02031