ProQR Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biotech company listed on NASDAQ with offices in Leiden, the Netherlands and Cambridge, Massachusetts, US. ProQR is focused on the development of game changing RNA therapies for severe genetic rare diseases. Our mission is to help patients by creating new medicines. A team of 160 enthusiastic ProQRians from all walks of life and more than 30 different nationalities is up to this challenge. We have the passion and commitment to make a difference in the lives of the patients we serve.
Our Innovation department is currently looking for a Senior Scientist Bioinformatics (Full-time) to join our team in Leiden.
The Innovation department is ProQR’s drug discovery engine, composed of a team of multidisciplinary experts, with the goal to investigate new disease targets and to discover drug candidates for those targets. In order to expand the range of targets that can be treated with oligonucleotide-based therapeutics, the Innovation team also develops and maximizes the potential of new technologies, such as the proprietary RNA editing technologies Axiomer and Trident.
As a member of the Innovation team, you will contribute to discovery of new oligonucleotide-based drugs for specific disease indications, as well as to the development of the proprietary platform technologies. In collaboration with other multi-disciplinary team members, you will use your expertise to speed up drug development by improving the predictive power of early discovery studies, helping us to select leads with the best possible profile for subsequent studies. To that end, you will support the wet-lab scientist with the analysis of transcriptomics studies, and design and coordinate outsourced bioinformatics projects. You will also perform research to devise improved (in silico) analytical methods to ensure we have an accurate understanding of the RNA processing variants in our model systems, and how they are affected by oligonucleotide drugs. Furthermore, you will drive long-term decision making by providing strategic input on how to develop the scientific methods and models and the computational infrastructure. To succeed in this role, you’ll need the abilities to grow in sync with the needs of the team, developing and communicating your own scientific vision. For this, you need the skills to communicate effectively about your field of expertise to colleagues of all levels in the company. Your job role is also likely to evolve along with the development of the strategy, so we appreciate a mindset that can adapt and grow according to the company’s needs.
Location: Leiden, NL.
We expect our Sr. Scientist to have:
- An advanced degree (PhD or equivalent) in bioinformatics or another relevant field, preferably related to transcriptomics
- At least 3 years of post-doctoral experience either in academia or (preferably) within the Biotech/Pharmaceutical industry
- In-depth knowledge and hands-on experience in analyzing both differential gene expression and - - RNA isoform expression in transcriptomic (RNA-seq) data sets
- Solid skills in the relevant programming languages (R, Python/Perl, Java, etc.)
- A good understanding of the biological processes that generate alternative RNA isoforms (alternative splicing, polyadenylation, RNA editing, etc.)
- Experience with setting up the relevant infrastructure (hardware, software and other tools)
- Experience with good data practice policies
- Additional skills that are considered beneficial but not strictly necessary:
- Experience with relational databases
- Experience with machine learning methods
- Experience with coordinating or performing the wet-lab part of RNA-based studies
- Experience in the field of genetic disorders and/or oligonucleotide-based therapies
- Experience with working in a project-based environment with multidisciplinary teams
Skills and competencies that are required for making the difference:
Strong scientific curiosity, creativity and vision
- Facilitating personal and team success
- Being able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong project planning and management skills
- Critical thinking, decision making and problem solving skills
- Keeping up with the scientific and technical development of the field
- Accurate reporting and scientific writing skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Pro-active and pragmatic self-starter, with a result-oriented mindset
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English
- A nice person :-)
ProQR as an employer
As an employer, we are a true believer of the value of a workforce in which people from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to develop themselves, personally and professionally. We believe that happy and energized people, working well together in an environment in which they thrive, will do phenomenal and awesome things.
We are committed to ensure that no employee, candidate or job applicant receives less favorable treatment on the grounds of race, age, disability, pregnancy, religion, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership status. At ProQR we want to create an inclusive culture where everyone can be valued for who they are and in which individual differences and the contributions in all forms are recognized and valued.
We offer an exciting and innovative working environment in a very committed organization, with the following benefits:
- A competitive salary
- 8% holiday allowance
- 30 vacation days
- An annual performance bonus
- Stock options
- A premium-free pension plan
- A commuting allowance
- A subsidized staff restaurant
- Flexible working arrangements
- Unlimited (un)healthy snacks and drinks
- Employee events (boot camp, chair massage and other social events)
Do you think you can contribute in achieving our mission? If so, we’re looking forward to receiving your application by filling out our application form.
Please apply as soon as possible but before 22 February 2022 if you are interested in this position via this link: https://www.proqr.com/careers/vacancies/senior-scientist-bioinformatics
You can contact Laura Faber via firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Please note that a screening is part of our selection procedure.