Senior Research Associate (Joint Genome Institute) - 94533
Division: JG-Joint Genome Institute
Berkeley Lab’s Joint Genome Institute (JGI) is looking for a Senior Research Associate to join the Genomic Technologies Department!
In this role, you will provide research and production support for complex scientific instrument operation, sample preparation, experimental design and execution, data collection, data analysis, and interpretation for genomics Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) tasks within a high-throughput environment in support of the Department of Energy’s (DOE) mission areas in clean energy generation, climate, and environmental sciences.
This position will design and conduct experiments aimed at improving quality, troubleshooting failures, and reducing sequencing process costs, as well as contribute to and provide guidance on optimization, development, and implementation projects for the advancement and scale-up of a variety of sequencing technologies. Additionally, you will be responsible for understanding the latest sequencing technology, supporting new technology development, and integrating new protocols onto the JGI sequencing platforms.
What You Will Do
- Utilize molecular biology and biochemistry concepts, knowledge and techniques to perform complex RNA/DNA sequencing applications, including sample QC & preparation (DNA, RNA, chromatin or cell/nuclei), sequencing library creation, and NGS sequencer operation (Illumina; Pacific Biosciences, Oxford Nanopore).
- Operate a variety of robotic liquid handlers (Hamilton, Perkin Elmer) and laboratory equipment used in high throughput NGS sample processing and perform quality control and maintenance of equipment and robotics.
- Design and perform experiments, summarize results, and provide conclusions on R&D projects aimed at improving quality, troubleshooting failures, reducing cost of sequencing processes, and for testing & implementation of new protocols, reagents/consumables, and technologies.
- Conduct preliminary analysis of daily sequencing results using system-analysis software, internal databases & reports, and statistical/spreadsheet software; troubleshoot process issues, generate reports, present findings and provide recommendations on poor performing instruments and samples and/or solutions to process issues.
- Interact regularly and collaborate with cross-functional groups both internal and external such as Quality Control, Instrumentation, and Informatics to troubleshoot and resolve complex technical problems impacting quantity and quality of samples and data.
- Use databases and various software programs to track and monitor the performance of reagents, instruments, samples, and process steps.
- Maintain an accurate and detailed laboratory notebook of daily production operations.
What is Required
- A minimum of 2 years of demonstrated experience with laboratory and molecular biology techniques such as nucleic acid purification, DNA cloning, PCR, NGS library preparation and sequencing, and utilizing high throughput automated systems and equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of experimental design and experience setting up molecular biology, instrumentation, and process optimization experiments.
- Experience troubleshooting problems, conducting analysis of data, and recording experimental data.
- Effective oral and written communication skills including experience maintaining detailed and accurate record-keeping of daily laboratory operations.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including the ability to work autonomously and as part of a diverse collaborative team. - Proficient computer skills including the ability to operate various laboratory software and analysis programs.
What We Prefer
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Microbiology, Genetics, or a related field. - Experience in sequence data analysis/interpretation. - Knowledge of gene expression, epigenetic regulations and plant genomics.
For full consideration, please apply by May 5, 2022 with the following application materials:
- Cover Letter - Describe your interest in this position and the relevance of your background. - Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume.
- This is a full time career appointment, exempt from overtime pay (monthly paid). - Salary is commensurate with experience. - This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment. - Work will be performed onsite at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://188.8.131.52/counter.php?id=227823 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Learn About Us:
Berkeley Lab (LBNL, http://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
The JGI’s mission is to provide the global research community with access to the most advanced integrative genome science capabilities in support of the DOE”s research mission to solve the world’s evolving energy and environmental challenges. The JGI supports projects in genome sequencing, synthesis, transcriptomics, metabolomics, and natural products in plants, fungi, algae, and microorganisms.
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab - Click Here.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.