We are seeking a software developer to reinforce the software development team of the Swiss-Prot group based in Geneva, Switzerland. The Swiss-Prot group develops a number of world-leading knowledge resources for the life sciences including UniProt, a reference resource of protein sequences and functional annotation, and Rhea, a reference resource of biochemical reaction data. Our resources serve a user community of hundreds of thousands of life science researchers worldwide.
The successful candidate will work as part of an interdisciplinary team of developers and biologists to develop database and web applications, and to operate and improve data processing pipelines. Our team works with a variety of open source technologies and frameworks including Hibernate, Wicket, Lucene, Tomcat, Vert.x, Maven, Git, and Jenkins.
- A degree in life sciences with programming experience, or a degree in computer science with a strong interest in biology, biochemistry, and/or chemistry
- Knowledge of cheminformatics
- Knowledge of Java
- Experience with relational databases and building web applications
- Comfortable working with Linux command line
- Interest in working in a production environment developing robust stable infrastructures
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and as part of a team
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English
- Knowledge of French a plus