Research Technician – Computational Biology Core
Research Technician Computational Biology Core, Institute for Systems Genomics
The UConn Institute for Systems Genomics is seeking a research assistant to support the work of its Computational Biology Core. The Core supports the research mission of the University of Connecticut through a mix of paid research projects, project support and consultation, training workshops and the management of a high performance computing (HPC) facility along with providing support for the HPC user base.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support of the HPC facility
- Support users through installing open-source scientific software and trouble-shooting user code
- Manage and update shared databases
- Support online workshops
- Triage requests received via e-mail, slack, and our help desk
- B.A./B.S. or higher in computational or biological sciences
- Experience with analyzing high-throughput sequence data
- Proficiency with Linux
- Comfort interacting with an HPC system
- Strong presentation and communication skills
- Positive attitude and ability to work as part of a team (multi-tasking extraordinaire)
- Comfort with R and/or Python programming
- Proficiency with open-source software installation
This temporary special payroll position requires 40 hours per week, with an hourly rate of $28.00. This short-term role (6 months – 1 year) may transition to a permanent role for the right candidate (staff scientist).
The position can be on-site, remote or hybrid (must be able to attend meetings and support all users during Eastern Standard Time working hours). This position does not offer sponsorship benefits.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter detailing your qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Research Technician Application.” Screening will begin immediately.