Tufts Technology Services (TTS) is a university-wide service organization committed to delivering technology solutions in support of Tufts’ mission of teaching, learning, research, innovation, and sustainability. With staff across all of Tufts’ campuses, as well as a 24x7 IT Service Desk, we collaborate with schools and divisions to meet the demands of a global, mobile community. We promote a collaborative, flexible work environment, embrace diversity and inclusion, and encourage personal and professional development. Learn more about TTS on our website.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Research Computing, the Bioinformatics Engineer works closely with the Bioinformatician and with other members of TTS Research Technology to support bioinformatics services for Tufts University faculty and students. Key responsibilities include maintaining bioinformatics tools, developing Omics workflows and curating reference data for the support of bioinformatics research on the Tufts High Performance Compute Cluster (HPC) and Tufts Galaxy Server; providing consulting services and technical support to faculty, post-docs, and students from a wide range of academic backgrounds; supporting training in analysis and visualization methods for `Omics data in the form of workshops and modules in semester courses. The ideal candidate is enthusiastic about both research and teaching and enjoys working in a collaborative environment.
This position has a work designation of remote.
- Knowledge and experience typically acquired through a BA/BS in Computer Science or a related quantitative science (Biology, Engineering, Math, Physics) and 3 years of work experience, or a MA/MS and 2 years of work experience in Bioinformatics in industry or research.
- Significant hands-on experience with:
- Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) analysis pipelines and algorithms
- High-Performance Computing (HPC), analytics and visualization platforms, including extensive experience with UNIX/Linux based systems.
- One or more programming languages: Python, R, Java, C, Perl
- One or more database language: SQL, MongoDB
- Strong passion and willingness to put significant effort towards the understanding and management of bioinformatics tools, software and services within a research and Information Technology (IT) environment
- Interest in teaching and outreach
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- MA/MS in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Computational Biology or a related quantitative science
- 2+ years of work experience in Bioinformatics industry or research
- Consulting experience for interdisciplinary projects
- Knowledge of HPC environments and concepts regarding schedulers (slurm), batch vs interactive jobs, scripting languages (bash)
- Developing Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) analysis pipelines and algorithms using workflow frameworks (e.g. NextFlow, Snakemake)
- Familiarity with coding best practices including version control, dev, test vs production environment
- Experience with cloud computing and development (e.g. AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Experience with web server development
- Experience in teaching and outreach
- Experience developing instructional materials and teaching workshops and/or semester courses