As part of a campus-wide strategic faculty hiring initiative in the emerging research area of climate science and sustainability, the Department of Genetics, Development and Cell Biology at Iowa State University (https://www.gdcb.iastate.edu/) seeks to hire an Assistant Professor in Plant Systems Biology. The applicant is expected to use modern genetic and genomics approaches such as genome editing, single-cell RNA-seq, multi-omics, computational modeling, network analysis and/or predictive phenomics. Research topics may include but are not limited to understanding how plants respond to abiotic stresses such as drought, heat, cold, and/or biotic stresses such as bacterial, fungal and insect challenges, plant signaling networks, and a long-term goal of developing resilient crops. The incumbent has the opportunity to address fundamental plant biology questions related to agricultural sustainability and to collaborate with scientists across the ISU campus including in the Crop Bioengineering Center (https://www.cropbioengineering.iastate.edu/) and the Plant Sciences Institute (https://www.psi.iastate.edu/).
Iowa State University is a student-centric research institution where excellence and innovation are overarching goals, and the Department of Genetics, Development and Cell Biology recognizes and supports the ISU Principles of Community. The successful candidate will actively participate in the teaching and learning mission of the department and the university by teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Ph.D. in biological sciences at the time of appointment OR Ph.D. in other fields with 1+ years of postdoctoral research in biological sciences
- Strong potential for conducting and publishing innovative research in an appropriate research topic in plant systems biology
- Postdoctoral experience using contemporary genetics and genomics approaches
- Strong record of research success and productivity
- Commitment to enhancing existing research strengths at ISU such as:
- By engaging in interdisciplinary or collaborative research
- Teaching experience and/or commitment to student-centric teaching and to mentoring
- Potential for success in securing extramural funding
Proposed Start Date:
August 16, 2024
Number of Months Employed Per Year:
09 Month Work Period
To apply for this position, please click on “Apply” and complete the Employment Application. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Full consideration is guaranteed for applications received by December 1, 2023. All interested, qualified persons must apply for this position online at jobs.iastate.edu to Job Requisition Number R13257. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:
- A cover letter
- A curriculum vitae
- Contact information for three references
- A statement of research plans (3 pages max)
- A teaching and mentoring statement (1 page max)
For questions about the application process, please contact Shobhana Ghimire at email@example.com.
Why Choose ISU?
Iowa State University is committed to fostering a workplace of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value. Our Iowa State Employees enjoy comprehensive health and work-life benefits, including medical and dental; as well as:
- Retirement benefits, including defined benefit and defined contribution plans;
- Generous leave plans;
- Onsite childcare (Ames, Iowa);
- Life insurance and long-term disability;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Various voluntary benefits and discounts;
- Employee Assistance Program;
- Wellbeing program.
Original Posting Date:
October 19, 2023
Posting Close Date:
Job Requisition Number: