The Institute of Molecular Biology gGmbH (IMB) is a Centre of Excellence for Life Sciences funded by the Boehringer Ingelheim Foundation and located within the campus of the University of Mainz in Germany. IMB focuses on epigenetics, DNA repair and developmental biology and offers premium scientific core facilities (see http://www.imb-mainz.de/core-facilities).
The Core Facility Bioinformatics supports the IMB researchers in performing high-throughput data processing, analysis, visualisation and interpretation, as well as by providing IT infrastructure, teaching and consulting services. We are looking for a highly motivated Bioinformatician (m/f) with enthusiasm for academic research to join the Core Facility Bioinformatics team of currently 5 people.
- Support the IMB scientists in the experimental planning, processing and analysis of data from cutting-edge sequencing technologies (RNA-, ChIP-, RIP-, iCLIP-, MBD-, Bisulfite-seq etc.)
- Assess existing and develop new data analysis methods for high-throughput "omics" data
- Participate in the development of data analysis workflows and pipelines
- Train in-house users in bioinformatics tools, methods and statistics
- University degree or postgraduate training in computational biology & bioinformatics
- Extensive experience in the analysis of next-generation sequencing data
- Solid programming skills in scripting and/or compiled languages
- Familiarity with Linux/Unix environment and compute clusters
- Sound knowledge of statistics and R/Bioconductor
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- Good organisational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience in interdisciplinary collaborations or bioinformatics services
- Familiarity with contemporary biomedical research topics
- Knowledge of software engineering and bioinformatics workflows
- Working on interesting projects in an international environment
- Flexible working hours and training opportunities
- Competitive salary and favourable pension scheme
Application deadline is December 1st 2014, and the successful applicant is expected to start in Q1 2015 with an initial contract for 2 years including an option for extension. To apply, please send a single PDF file including a cover letter, CV, certificates and contact information of three professional referees quoting Ref. No. CFBI08 to email@example.com. IMB is an equal opportunity employer.
Informal inquiries can be made to Dr. Emil Karaulanov (e.karaulanov[at]imb-mainz.de).
I am expecting to finish my PhD by August 2015. Am I eligible to apply for this position?
The successful applicant is expected to start in Q1 2015 which is likely an obstacle for you.