We have just opened a position at Ensembl for an Outreach Officer. Full job advert plus link to apply here.
Ensembl Outreach are involved in communication between Ensembl developers and the Ensembl user community in a variety of ways:
- Teaching training courses on using Ensembl, travelling to institutes and conferences worldwide to do so. We do standalone courses, as well as involve ourselves with larger courses such as those run by the EBI or the Wellcome Trust.
- Providing help via our email help system, as well as here on Biostars.
- Creating the online page guides (click on the (i) from any Ensembl page), FAQs and glossary you can see in Ensembl plus tutorials, YouTube videos and e-learning courses.
- Telling everybody about what we're doing and how awesome we are via social media, including Twitter, Facebook and our blog.
- Working with the developers to improve or create new data views and tools: everything from minor bug reporting to full usability testing.
I was an Outreach Officer for 2.5 years and have now moved up to be the Project Leader for Ensembl Outreach. It's a fantastic job that gives you amazing opportunities to travel the world, meet and talk to fascinating scientists working on all kinds of amazing projects. You'll also be part of a phenomenal and innovative bioinformatic genomic resource, surrounded by an international group of fantastic biologists, bioinformaticians and computer scientists.
I'm happy to answer any questions about the position via email. Closing date for applications is 30th April.