The ICO-IMPPC Joint Program for Hereditary Cancer, a joint initiative from the Catalan Institute of Oncology (ICO) and the Institute of Predictive and Personalized Medicine of Cancer (IMPPC), is centered in improving the genetic diagnostics and clinical management of families with an increased genetic susceptibility to develop cancer compared to the general population, in the development of tools for the genetic diagnostics and in the study of hereditary cancer and associated tumors.
The diagnostics activity of the Joint Program is focused in the genetic diagnostics of hereditary cancer, Neurofibromatoses, RASopathies and other related syndromes. In this context, we have developed the I2HCP, a Next Generation Sequencing (NGS)-based custom designed gene panel that is currently being implemented to the day-to-day diagnostics activity, implicating different needs both in the genetic diagnostics lab and in the translational bioinformatics activities.
Bellvitge Biomedical Research Institute (IDIBELL) is looking for a highly motivated scientific programmer or bioinformatician with experience in web-development to participate in this implementation process for the genetic diagnostics and to participate in further developing the I2HCP and its companion data analysis pipeline. The candidate will also be encouraged to contribute with new ideas and views to the research activity of the Hereditary Cancer Program.
Description of duties
The selected candidate will participate in the final implementation of the NGS-based genetic testing approach to the genetic diagnostics routine and in its future further development. He/she is expected to collaborate in the maintenance and improvement of the data analysis pipelines both by improving the current methods and by devising novel analysis strategies. In addition, the candidate will actively participate in designing the future developments to improve the whole genetic testing strategy.
More particularly, the candidate will have two main tasks:
- Working closely with the lab users, he/she will be responsible of designing and implementing a secure web-based system to manage and remotely launch the data analysis pipelines and to provide the necessary training to the end users.
- He/she will be expected to propose and implement new or improved analysis to the existing data analysis pipelines
Studies and experience:
- Degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Biology, Biotechnology, Mathematics or related domains
- At least 2-3 years of experience as a scientific programmer or bioinformatician
Required technical skills:
- Experience in programming with different programming languages
- Experience with web development including the development of complete systems using frontend and backend technologies
- Good working knowledge of linux and usage of HPC clusters
- Good working knowledge of databases (postgresql)
- Experience dealing with sensible data in a web environment and knowledge of security best practices
Desirable technical skills:
- Fluent in R with experience in data analysis
- Experience working with NGS data, specially in variant analysis and annotation
- Experience developing and using data analysis pipelines
- Knowledge of biostatistics and data modeling
- Prior experience in a diagnostics setting will be valued
- Good spoken and written Spanish or Catalan
- Good spoken and written English
- The successful candidate should have good communication skills, both verbal and written, and should be able to work in a multidisciplinary environment, interacting with researchers, technicians and medical doctors.
- Full time contract for one year with possibility of extension depending on availability of funds
- Competitive salary according to qualifications and experience
- The opportunity to work in a novel emerging area of bioinformatics, translational bioinformatics, in the context of a truly multidisciplinary team. The main part of the work will take place at the IMPPC but it is expected that part of it will be done at ICO Hospitalet
- Interaction with other leading cancer research groups
- Interaction with other bioinformatics groups and bioinformaticians from the different centers
- Possibility of attending specialized courses related to the research developed by the group
How to Apply
- Send a CV and a motivation letter to Bernat Gel (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the reference REF: SP_TB_1 in the subject
- Deadline: 15 November 2015