SHORT LINK: https://goo.gl/NgnDjm
We currently have an opening for a Postdoctoral Research Associate in Bioinformatics which is available immediately and located in Gaithersburg, MD. The successful candidate will join a team of researchers at MRIGlobal actively conducting genomics-based research in infectious disease diagnostics, biosurveillance, microbiology, virology, and microbial forensics for a variety of government programs and industrial clients. MRIGlobal is a 501(c)3 not-for-proffit research institute with laboratories located in Missouri, Maryland, and Florida.
Principal Accountabilities and Success Factors
Successful candidates will have a passion for applied research, and developing technically sound solutions for real-world problems. Examples of bioinformatics activities may include one or more of the following efforts:
- Development of bioinformatics pipelines and systems for use in both high-performance computing cluster and remote field-based contexts;
- Development of experimental plans for testing, evaluating, and validating systems for use in operational programs serving US Government and commercial client needs;
- Assisting or leading in statistical inference and analysis of next generation sequencing results, particularly from complex environmental and clinical samples (i.e. metagenomics);
- Development and maintenance of database systems and Develop training programs for non-experts to use bioinformatics systems, understand results, and identify outcomes;
We aim to attract new talent into MRIGlobal’s existing pool of forward thinking research scientists focused on applied research in environmental/agricultural biosurveillance, infectious disease clinical diagnostics, and microbial forensics. Appointments will be made for an initial period of two (2) years, with the possibility of extensions. Publication of research in peer-reviewed journals is expected and an essential component of the candidate’s success.
- A recent Ph.D. (less than 3 years) in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology or similar field;
- Substantial experience in next generation sequencing analysis and bioinformatics (required);
- Substantial experience with Linux systems and C/C++, SQL, JAVA, Perl, Python, R, and/or bash, etc.;
- Experience in microbial pathogen genomics or metagenomics a major plus;
- Experience in LIMS systems for tracking and analysis of complex genomics data is a plus; - Applicants MUST be a U.S. Citizen and be eligible to obtain a Department of Defense Clearance.
We are proud to be an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled employer. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.