The GIGA (http://www.giga.ulg.ac.be) is seeking for a post-doctoral researcher for a genomic medicine project.
The GIGA Research Center is a multidisciplinary research group at the University of Liège aiming at developing applied genomics and proteomics research programs. The CHU Liège is a University Hospital active in all the aspects of health care, including human genetics, oncology, and microbiology. Together the GIGA Research Center and the CHU launch a genomic medicine project.
The project will set up the technological, scientific and medical bases for clinical application of genomics in the fields of genetic diseases, cancer diagnosis and follow-up and infectious diseases. The project will be performed at the GIGA center with the equipment of the GIGA Genomics platform (soon to be completed with a NovaSeq sequencer) in close collaboration with the scientists and physicians from the hospital. The program will be under the direction of Prof Vincent Bours, member of the GIGA Center and Head of the Department of Human Genetics at the CHU.
The candidate will be responsible for the following tasks:
- To organize the development of a genomic medicine activity in collaboration with the GIGA Center and the CHU
- To develop NGS tests with clinical relevance in the fields of human genetics and/or oncology; to set up the workflow and the analytical capacities for Whole Exome and Whole Genome Sequencing (WES and WGS) and to facilitate the development of NGS tests for infectious diseases.
- To organize molecular boards for variant interpretation and clinical reports
- To interact with internal (GIGA) or external laboratories for functional studies of candidate mutations
- To facilitate technology transfer to the diagnostic laboratory, in an accredited setting
- Post-doctoral scientist with experience in NGS either in the field of human genetics or oncology, preferably in a medical environment.
- Good knowledge of the bio-informatic tools for variant calling and interpretation. Ability to collaborate with the bio-informatic team for specific developments.
- Ability to work with a multidisciplinary team and to interact with all the partners from the GIGA and the Hospital.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work duties and to function as a team-member; an experience in project management would be a plus.
- Ability to encourage positive dynamics within the team.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Language skills: fluency in English; ability to work in French and in English would be an asset.
Please note it is a project-based contract. A one-year contract will be offered with possible extension for at least 3 years.
How to apply?
Please send your resume and cover letter to Professor Vincent BOURS (firstname.lastname@example.org) and email@example.com in copy, specifying as subject heading LAST NAME First Name / Application / “Postdoctoral researcher for a genomic medicine project” by December 20th 2017.