I'm happy to finally announce the release of Atlas. Atlas is a Windows desktop application that downloads, imports, and allows you to view genes and related compounds in a nested tree structure.
- Written in C#
- Currently limited to Windows (still investigating cross platform GUI options)
- Can download genes, proteins, enzymes, and compounds from 10 different internet databases via FTP & HTTP
- Can import all the above into a single common database
- The merged entries contain all the entries from the source databases allowing for easy debugging
- Has an embedded web browser that can show source database links
- Has a skeleton framework for loading that database into a cell model and doing very simple simulations (mostly just proof of concept at this point)
- Has a custom serializer that can save/load any object without writing any code
- Features a very unique GUI that allows multiple entries to be compared easily in one view
You can find the project here: https://github.com/garyhertel/atlas
Let me know what you think. This is my first open source project so I'm not quite sure what to expect. This project is pretty far outside my domain experience, but it seemed like an interesting project to work on. This is primarily a framework for doing whatever you like, and I'm not sure what the direction will be next.