To provide high quality informatics support to the Wellcome Centre for Molecular Parasitology (WCMP) within the Institute of Infection, Immunity and Inflammation. In addition to aiding research groups by performing robust and publishable statistical analyses, developing and maintaining software pipelines, and management of data generated by WCMP, the postholder will contribute to TriTrypDB www.tritrypdb.org), a highly visible web resource for trypanosomatids and part of the EuPathDB family of databases. The postholder will work closely with colleagues at The University of Liverpool and the University of Pennsylvania.
The postholder will reporting to the WCMP Bioinformatics Team Leader (Professor Mike Barrett) and be accountable to the WCMP Director (Professor Andrew Waters).
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist and contribute to the Institute's research objectives, in collaboration with other bioinformaticians and researchers, and in accordance with the project’s deliverables.
- To perform internationally competitive research in the analysis of genomics and post-genomics data. 3 To provide analytical and statistical expertise, and algorithms for data from genome sequencing and other experimental approaches, on behalf of research groups in the WCMP and collaborators.
- To develop and apply innovative computational approaches for the analysis of large sequence datasets from next-generation sequencing and/or proteomics technologies to support WCMP research groups.
- To provide professional advice and training in data analysis for researchers.
- To participate in external research collaborations, and present research at national and international research workshops or conferences.
- Contribute to the organisation, supervision, mentoring and training of undergraduate and/or postgraduate students, less experienced members of the WCMP and external training courses on genomics.
- Develop and enhance your research profile and reputation, and that of the University of Glasgow and WCMP, including writing and contributing to publications of international quality journals, enhancing research impact in terms of economic/societal benefit.
- Document research output including analysis and interpretation of all data, maintaining records and databases, drafting technical/progress reports and papers as appropriate.
- Contribute to the identification of potential funding sources and assist in the development of proposals to secure funding from internal and external bodies to support future research.
- Collaborate with colleagues and participate in team/group meetings/seminars/workshops across the WCMP research area and wider community (e.g. with academic partners).
- Perform administrative tasks related to the activities of the research group and WCMP, including budget and expenditure monitoring.
- Keep up-to-date with relevant bioinformatics literature, practical knowledge base, and recent advances in the field/discipline.
- Engage in personal, professional and career development to enhance both specialist and transferable skills in accordance with the role.
- Undertake any other duties of equivalent standing as assigned by the Director of the WCMP and/or Bioinformatics Team Leader.
- To contribute to the enhancement of the University’s international profile in line with the University’s Strategic Plan - Inspiring People – Changing the World. http://www.gla.ac.uk/about/strategy/people/
For further details visit: https://bit.ly/2vPs2VV