COMPUTATIONAL SCIENTIST: PRODUCTION ANALYSIS
Founded in 2008, Cofactor Genomics is a biotechnology company pioneering the use of RNA to diagnose disease. The company’s novel technology combines biology with proprietary machine learning software to develop unique molecular diagnostics centered on RNA. Cofactor Genomics was founded by three former Human Genome Project molecular and computational scientists and is dual headquartered in St. Louis, MO and San Francisco, CA.
To date, Cofactor Genomics has raised more than $20 million in funding, including an oversubscribed $18 million Series A in 2017. The company is backed by several top-tier investors including Menlo Ventures, Data Collective, Y Combinator, Ascension Ventures, Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, and Stanford University, among others. Cofactor has been featured in many publications, including TechCrunch and Wired Magazine.
About the position
Cofactor Genomics is looking for an individual to join our analysis team full-time and help support our next-generation sequencing operations. Previous experiences in bioinformatics or computational biology are not required for this role, however candidates with this experience will be prioritized.
You will be responsible for running and maintaining Cofactor’s RNA-sequencing and RNAseqDX (CAP/CLIA-certified) production pipelines. We're looking for someone who learns quickly and is willing to take on challenges even if they're outside their comfort zone. Someone who loves building new features, but cares enough about their code to get the details right. It is not essential to have a background in bioinformatics and computational biology, but you'll need to be able to apply your software engineering skills to those fields. Experience takes precedence to educational background, but we're looking for a minimum of a bachelor's degree up to a master's degree with 3 years experience.
This job will be located in Cofactor's San Francisco office. If you are unwilling or unable to relocate, please do not apply. Thank you!
Reporting to the Chief Scientific Officer, responsibilities include:
- Process and deliver analysis of RNA-sequencing data and similar projects, including all QC of data.
- Process and deliver analysis for RNAseqDX, Cofactor’s CLIA-compliant RNA-seq product.
- Develop new software tools and pipelines as needed (along with tests and documentation) for performing production analysis.
- Local and cloud-based database and systems administration and development.
- Meet with our clients to understand their needs and help them interpret the results of their analyses.
- Understands and able to participate in discussions around gene expression, sequencing including next generation sequencing, genomics research and clinical studies.
- Interact and support Production Laboratory Group to achieve strategic goals.
- Minimum of a B.S. / B.A. in computer science or bioinformatics is required.
- Minimum 3 years of work experience.
- Comfort working in a small entrepreneurial environment is a definite asset.
- Experience with Python and Bash.
- Familiarity with data science libraries such as Pandas.
- Experience with Unix systems and command line tools.
- Successful in meeting deadlines while balancing long and short term goals
- Supportive and generous in a collaborative engineering culture
- Comfortable in a start-up environment and proactively seeking out information as needed
Perks and Benefits
- Equity options
- 401k program with employer contribution
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, and HSA available
- Life insurance
- Parental Leave
- Happy hours and team-wide social events
Sound like a fit?
Regardless of your level of experience, we look for people with high growth potential. We encourage you to apply early. We intend to hire the first person that is a good fit. Cofactor Genomics is an equal opportunity employer. We look forward to hearing from you!
How to apply for this position? There is no link or mail ID is provided in the post.
Thanks, @genomax, and yes, that's the correct link.
We are actively interviewing for this position, so I encourage you to apply!
COO, Cofactor Genomics