Question: Error while loading the data structrure in the ballgown tool
0
gravatar for swarajgaikwad15
5 weeks ago by
Tezpur University, Assam, India
swarajgaikwad150 wrote:

Hello, I am facing an error while loading my data structure in ballgown tool, I have tried following are the commands which i am using in my data:

>setwd("/Users/kchougul/data/testdata/Ballgown/tutorial_example")
>library(ballgown)
>library(ggplot2)
>library(gplots)
>library(genefilter)
>library(GenomicRanges)
>library(plyr)
>pheno_data = read.csv(file ="design_matrix", header = TRUE, sep = ",")
>sample_full_path <- paste("SRRXXX", "SRRYYY", "SRRZZZ",pheno_data[,1], sep = ',')

SRRXXX, SRRYYY are my ballgown folders containing respective SRRXXX.gtf and SRRYYY.gtf files

>bg = ballgown(samples=as.vector(sample_full_path),pData=pheno_data)

Tue Nov 13 13:13:27 2018
Error in ballgown(samples = as.vector(sample_full_path), pData = pheno_data) :

Something is wrong: are you missing .ctab files? Do extra files/folders (other than tablemaker output folders) match your samples/dataDir/samplePattern argument(s)?
ADD COMMENTlink modified 4 weeks ago by Vijay Lakhujani3.4k • written 5 weeks ago by swarajgaikwad150

You should report this as a bug on GitHub site. That is the official place to repport bugs.

But why do you want to use ballgown? Which tool have you used to quantify the RNASeq data?

ADD REPLYlink written 5 weeks ago by kristoffer.vittingseerup1.0k

Thanks for your reply.

I have used StringTie for quantification

ADD REPLYlink written 5 weeks ago by swarajgaikwad150

Thank you very much, @kristoffer.vittingseerup and @ATpoint. I appreciate your help.

ADD REPLYlink written 4 weeks ago by swarajgaikwad150
3
gravatar for kristoffer.vittingseerup
4 weeks ago by
European Union
kristoffer.vittingseerup1.0k wrote:

Since you have used StringTie for quantification I would suggest you use DESeq2 for differential analysis - it is a much more well established tool and there is general acceptance in the DE community that count based methods (such as DESeq2) performs better than abundance based methods (such as Ballgown).

This Bioconductor workflow will give you all the details for how to run such an analysis. Please note that although the linked workflow use Salmon quantification, the tximport() function (used for getting Salmon quantified data into R) directly supports import of StringTie data as well making the workflow directly applicable to your data.

ADD COMMENTlink written 4 weeks ago by kristoffer.vittingseerup1.0k
1

The tximport manual covers stringtie as input, and I definitely agree to use DESeq2 simply for the reason that it is well-maintained. I think ballgown is rather in low-maintanance mode.

ADD REPLYlink written 4 weeks ago by ATpoint11k
1

You are right! Seems Ballgown have not been updated in years!

Additionally Ballgown have (at least as far as I can tell) never been benchmarked vs any of the other standard tools (voom-limma, DESeq2 or edgeR) not even in their own paper...

ADD REPLYlink written 4 weeks ago by kristoffer.vittingseerup1.0k
1

Just to make things clear, I am not saying that ballgown is bad or anything. Just personally, especially given that I am not a statistician, feel saver using well-maintained tools like DESeq2.

ADD REPLYlink written 4 weeks ago by ATpoint11k
1

Actually today i found the first benchmark of ballgown (this article) where additional file 6 can be used to test it our. I just tried and it is the absolute worst with small sample numbers! It does get better with increasing sample numbers but continue to have poor recall (True Positive Rate).

ADD REPLYlink written 4 weeks ago by kristoffer.vittingseerup1.0k

I am new to the RNA seq analysis, so I am unable to create a character vector file i.e., files as mentioned in the tximport manual. I have created my 'files.tsv' file in which samples path SRRXXX /path/to/StringTie/results/SRRXXX/t_data.ctab SRRYYY /path/to/StringTie/results/SRRXXX/t_data.ctab . . . so on

Tell me If i am wrong in making the file Then I'll be using

>tmp <- read_tsv(files[1])
>tx2gene <- tmp[, c("t_name", "gene_name")]
>txi <- tximport(files, type = "stringtie", tx2gene = tx2gene)

Since two days i have stuck to this problem, Thank you for sparing your time.

ADD REPLYlink written 4 weeks ago by swarajgaikwad150

Please ask this as a new question - this will enable other people with the same problem to use the solutions we will provide there.

ADD REPLYlink written 29 days ago by kristoffer.vittingseerup1.0k

No, please go through the tximport manual carefully and see if you find the answer there. This is a very standard thing to load files into R and I am sure the manual contains an answer plus solving these little things yourself will help you improve yourself.

ADD REPLYlink written 29 days ago by ATpoint11k

Thank you very much It worked.

ADD REPLYlink written 27 days ago by swarajgaikwad150
Please log in to add an answer.

Help
Access

Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy.
Powered by Biostar version 2.3.0
Traffic: 1156 users visited in the last hour