Question: How do we call this phenomenon in evolution?
gravatar for johnnytam100
12 months ago by
johnnytam100100 wrote:

I have a protein of interest, which is conserved from bacteria, archaea to eukaryotes.

After aligning the sequence a highly conserved domain of the homologs, I have divided the sequences into three groups which differ by a significant number of the aligned position that shared a common trend, in terms of the percentage of the amino acid composition at the respective position, for illustration:

For aligned residue position 1,

group 1 : 100% lysine

group 2 : 50% lysine, 50% arginine

group 3 : 100% arginine

Interestingly, for some positions the mutation is less conservative, for example:

group 1 : 100% histidine

group 2 : 50% histidine, 50% aspartate

group 3 : 100% aspartate

Does anyone know how do we call such a phenomenon in evolution?

Thank you.

evolution • 294 views
ADD COMMENTlink modified 12 months ago • written 12 months ago by johnnytam100100

Conservative, semiconservative, and radical substitution/replacement?

ADD REPLYlink written 12 months ago by rbagnall1.4k

Yes, that's much related. I have just read from a reference book, "co-evolving residues". Please throw in more specific terms or examples describing such a phenomenon if anyone has.

ADD REPLYlink written 12 months ago by johnnytam100100

Natural selection :p

ADD REPLYlink written 12 months ago by 5heikki8.6k
Please log in to add an answer.


Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy.
Powered by Biostar version 2.3.0
Traffic: 991 users visited in the last hour