We have an opening for a Senior Bioinformatician to join our team to design and implement bioinformatics services for the NCI Genomic Data Commons, an innovative data sharing platform for biomedical research. Projects focus on multi-institutional collaborations that bring leading experts together to drive data sharing initiatives for flagship scientific programs. You will lead data import and analysis, data quality, and data generation aspects of each project and work hands-on to develop pipelines and tools, including support for high-throughput genomic technologies.
- Develop, execute, test, and roll out project-specific bioinformatics solutions.
- Investigate, devise, and modify procedures to solve complex problems at a highly technical level across all phases of bioinformatics support activities.
- Contribute to the technical and scientific leadership of the Center, including broader decisions on projects, infrastructure, technologies, platforms, and framework needs.
- Develop technical diagrams, project plans, timelines, and resource allocations, escalating key decisions to senior management and stakeholders.
- Provide technical and scientific oversight for projects and mentorship to junior team members.
- Doctoral degree in Bioinformatics, Biological Sciences, Computer Science, or a related field required.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in the field of bioinformatics required.
- Experience in the bioinformatics of Next Generation sequencing technologies required.
- Experience using languages such as Java, Python, SQL, or XML, required.
- Familiarity with Linux and/or Unix required.
- Basic knowledge of molecular biology required.
- Basic knowledge of statistics required.
- Experience in employing high performance computing to solve parallelizable compute problems preferred.
- Experience providing bioinformatics services or other service roles preferred.
- Experience with human genomics preferred.
The Center for Translational Data Science at the University of Chicago is a research center pioneering the discipline of translational data science to advance biology, medicine, and environmental research. We architect ecosystems of large-scale commons of research data, computing resources, applications, tools, and services for the broader research community to use data at scale to pursue scientific inquiry and accelerate discovery. These growing data commons offer petabytes of rich research data to scientists across the world.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination. Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.