Who we are
The GIGA Research Center is a multidisciplinary research group at the University of Liège aiming at developing applied genomics and proteomics research programs. The CHU Liège is a University Hospital active in all the aspects of health care, including human genetics, oncology, and microbiology.
Together the GIGA Research Center and the CHU launch a genomic medicine project. The project will set up the technological, scientific and medical bases for clinical application of genomics in the fields of genetic diseases, cancer diagnosis and follow-up, and infectious diseases. The project will be performed at the GIGA center with the equipment of the GIGA Genomics platform (NovaSeq, NextSeq, MiSeq sequencers) in close collaboration with the scientists and physicians from the hospital. The program will be under the direction of Prof Vincent Bours, member of the Giga Center and Head of the Department of Human Genetics at the CHU.
For this project, the University of Liège / GIGA Center recruits a scientist in bioinformatics.
What we offer
• Project-based contract. A one-year contract will be offered with possible extension for at least 2 years.
• Develop new methods for the application of NGS in a medical setting ; follow the scientific literature and identify key topics for new developments
• Build dedicated bioinformatics pipelines aimed at being transferred in a production setting for genomic medicine ; facilitate technology transfer from research to the diagnostics laboratory
• Assist the continuous improvement of NGS analyses in an accredited setting (ISO 15189)
• Interact with internal (GIGA) or external laboratories for bioinformatics development (including the national network of bioinformaticians from the BeSHG)
Qualifications and abilities
• Masters or PhD degree in bioengineering, computer science, (bio)informatics, applied physics or related field
• Good understanding of biostatistics and modelling concepts
• 2 years experience in bioinformatics applied to NGS is highly valued
• Experience in human genetics or oncology in a medical environment is an asset
• Strong experience with Python, Perl, R and bash scripting in a Linux environment is required
• Experience with High Performance Computing (e.g. SLURM) is an asset
• Ability to organize and prioritize work duties
• Good writing skills
• Good communication skills
• Language skills: fluent in English; ability to work in French is an asset.
How to apply
Applications should be sent before June 30th 2019 to Prof Vincent Bours at the address: firstname.lastname@example.org