Hello everyone. I have a small RNA library that I am trying to see if the target any kind of viruses. I plan to make these short sequences into longer reads or contigs and then see if they map to any viral genomes. I was advised to use velvet to carry out the assembly. I installed velvet using conda install velvet. to do the assembly I used the command I found in the velvet help according to how I understand it.
velveth output.fastq 191 -fastq sample.fastq
the problem is, I am not sure this is right because the output file were still short reads when I looked and looked as below
>NS500519:44:HHHTLBGX2:3:11406:4633:13982 21398134 0 CATTGCACTCGTCCCGGCCTGA >NS500519:44:HHHTLBGX2:3:11406:15103:13982 21398135 0 AGCACTGAGAACACTTTGGCCTTGGCAAG >NS500519:44:HHHTLBGX2:3:11406:23757:13983 21398136 0 TCTTAGAACTCATCGGGAGGGAACATTAGC >NS500519:44:HHHTLBGX2:3:11406:9883:13983 21398137 0