The HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology is a non-profit organization with the mission to use biotechnology and basic biological research to make important discoveries, improve human health, stimulate economic development, inspire young people to seek careers in science and teach members of the public the importance of science in their everyday lives. Located in Cummings Research Park in Huntsville, Alabama, one of the world's leading science and technology parks, HudsonAlpha's campus contains state-of-the-art laboratories for biological research and development, as well as education, in the areas of genomics, genetics and personalized medicine.
The Clinical Informatics group is multi-disciplinary, comprising software developers, statisticians, bio-informaticians, biological analysts, etc. with a reputation for responsiveness and excellence. The group's purpose is the development and maintenance of a robust suite of software tools and databases for clinical interpretation of genetic test results.
The Software Developer will work with the Clinical Informatics group to develop laboratory-use software and/or integration points between existing databases and software tools, including the development of APIs and query tools.
JOB SPECIFIC TASKS
This position will be involved in:
- Data pipeline optimization and API development
- The utilization of big data technologies to build tools for biological research
- UI and visualization development of experimental data.
- Work well in a team environment
- A strong desire to learn and implement new technologies.
- A background in biology is not necessary
- HIPAA compliance experience preferred
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- 2+ years experience in software development
- Proficient in Java, python, RESTful development
- Beneficial Qualifications:
- Familiarity with Hadoop/MapReduce
- Familiarity with NoSQL databases (Mongo, HBase, etc)
- HIPAA compliance experience
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
The physical requirements and environmental conditions of this position consist primarily of:
- Continuous mental and visual attention
- Ability to work at a computer monitor for significant portions of the work day
- On-call availability and periodic overtime
It is the policy of HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology, in accordance with all applicable laws, to recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.