Location: EMBL-EBI, Hinxton near Cambridge, UK
Staff Category: Staff Member
Contract Duration: 3 years
Grading: Grade 5 (starts at £2,676 net per month) or 6 (starts at £2,994 net per month)
Closing Date: 30 January 2020
Reference Number: EBI01564
Ensembl (http://www.ensembl.org/) is one of the leading large-scale bioinformatics projects for genome annotation. We import ‘big’ amounts of ‘data’ from various archives (genome sequences, variation archives, etc), to create summaries (e.g. gene annotations, whole-genome alignments, gene trees, regulatory elements, etc.). We redistribute these freely to researchers across the world.
We are looking for an enthusiastic software developer to join our team. You will be responsible for developing and maintaining the very core of the APIs used by Ensembl.
- Design and develop APIs which are consumed by internal as well as external users for their computational workflows
- Support and maintain the existing open source code
- Co-ordinate answers for user queries
- Contribute to modelling for seamless access of structured/non-structured data types
- Help in development and maintenance of proprietary HPC based workflow manager system
- MSc or PhD or equivalent experience, in computer science/bioinformatics (or related field), large software development projects
- Experience in object oriented perl programming
- Experience in database modelling and SQL
- Ability to work on parallel tasks
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work independently while also interacting in a team environment
- Attitude to contribute to a larger scientific cause
You might also have
- Experience in development of scientific computational workflows
- Working knowledge of HPC based workflows managers
- Experience in working in large scientific projects
Why join us
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind.
Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good.
As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by over 27 member states and two associate member states.
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 850 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation. For more information about pay and benefits click here.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
What else you need to know
To view a copy of the full job description please click here.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system. Applications are welcome from all nationalities and this will continue after Brexit. For more information please see our website. Visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.