I am working on miRNA analysis. Since I have been added to the study lately, I do not have the raw data. The study is composed of 2 groups. I only have an excel file composed of transcript ID of miRNAs, Bi-weight Average Signal from Control group, Bi-weight Average Signal from Disease group and the Fold Change among these two groups. I do not have any p-values or results of statistical tests to determine whether these values are significant or not, therefore I cannot say which ones might be from experimental errors or not. I have to obtain the significant miRNAs and make a functional analysis based on these differentially expressed miRNAs.
I have two questions:
- Could I apply any statistical tests to determine which values are worth taking into account? Could you suggest me a filtering method in this case?
- If there is no filtering method based on statistical tests, is it possible to have a filtering such as:
- Obtain the mean value of Fold Change values,
- Set a threshold (mean +-1 for example) for Fold Change values
- Eliminate the IDs with too low or too high Fold Change values
Thanks in advance!