The VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology (Belgium) is searching for a full-time bioinformatician (BSc/MSc) to join us for support with sequencing data processing with a focus on the analysis of third-generation nanopore sequencing. We now seek to expand our center with a bioinformatician who will assist in processing sequencing data, participate in a number of research programs as bioinformatics support, and contribute to the development of software and pipelines.
VIB CMN is a highly international research environment, focusing on the molecular causes of neurodegenerative and neurodevelopmental phenotypes, with a forefront role in thirdgeneration sequencing technologies from Oxford Nanopore Technologies. The candidate will be splitting their time between external and internal projects (50%) in the Neuromics Support Facility headed by Mojca Strazisar and streamlining the bioinformatics work (50%) in the Rosa Rademakers lab.
Both parts of this function are interdisciplinary, as the NSF integrates technical expertise in sequencing, bioinformatics, and imaging and the Rademakers lab performs research ranging from disease modelling, epigenetics, transcriptomics, proteomics, and long-read sequencing in the context of Frontotemporal Dementia and genetic Epilepsies.
Candidates with a bachelor's or master's degree in bioinformatics are strongly encouraged to apply, but the position is also open to candidates with a bachelor's or master's degree in other life science fields with equivalent experience in bioinformatics and data analysis.
- Able to work independently and respecting deadlines
- Communicative and prefers to work in a team
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English
- Proficiency in the Linux environment and cluster experience
- Programming skills in Python or R
- Keen interest in sequencing data processing and analysis
- Experience with a workflow system such as Snakemake or Nextflow is a plus
- Experience with data analysis of long-read sequencing and awareness of the biotechnological background is a plus.
- Exciting opportunity to work with highly motivated teams in an international research environment
- Opportunity to further develop your skills and be guided by experts in fields of sequencing and data analysis
- Competitive package based on experience and expertise
- Open-ended contract
The starting date is as soon as possible.
How to apply?
Please complete the online application procedure and include a detailed CV, a motivation letter describing your interests, and contact details of referees (if available).
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about our research center https://uantwerpen.vib.be/
Applications are welcome until the position is filled.