Forum: Is it still recommended to avoid macOS Big Sur?
2
gravatar for jrleary
9 weeks ago by
jrleary170
Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center
jrleary170 wrote:

I remember when macOS Big Sur came out people in the programming / comp bio world were saying to avoid installing it as it could cause issues with libraries / dependencies - I think I remember Lior Pachter putting something about it on his Twitter but I can't find the tweet now. Is it OK to go ahead and upgrade, or should I still hold off? I really want to avoid bricking any of my code.

forum mac • 283 views
ADD COMMENTlink modified 9 weeks ago by h.mon32k • written 9 weeks ago by jrleary170
4
gravatar for GenoMax
9 weeks ago by
GenoMax96k
United States
GenoMax96k wrote:

We have no idea what code is important to you. If keeping your code running is a priority (and this is your primary/only machine) then don't upgrade. Apple is generally good about keeping security patches supplied for prior version of the OS so you are covered there. I don't think Big Sur has standout features that make it a must have compared to Catalina.

That said I upgraded a machine in place and recently applied v.11.1 upgrade too. conda and environments are working fine. You could upgrade after creating a time machine backup. If something breaks after the upgrade, you can always go back to the last version by doing a restore from that backup. Only thing you are likely to lose is time/effort.

ADD COMMENTlink modified 9 weeks ago • written 9 weeks ago by GenoMax96k
1

I second this. Big Sur doesn't break anything critical, but you will discover minor annoyances that will be like small pebbles in your shoe.

In my case, the OS tells me my 2-year old used-only-to-one-eighth-its-life battery is dead. It also has broken my DND scheduler functionality, which means my laptop gets notifications that wake me up at midnight unless I manually turn on DND every evening.

ADD REPLYlink written 9 weeks ago by Ram32k

Appreciate the insight, as always. I have access to a compute cluster but I do most of my work on my MacBook, so I think I'll probably hold off on upgrading for now.

ADD REPLYlink written 9 weeks ago by jrleary170
Please log in to add an answer.

Help
Access

Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy.
Powered by Biostar version 2.3.0
Traffic: 2609 users visited in the last hour
_